Quick and cheap cooking ideas for college students?

Luuchan

Veteran
Local time
6:10 PM
Hello, everyone!

I'm currently in my last year of college and have gradually been learning how to cook after years of not cooking. I know that eating in saves a lot of money, and would like to learn some new recipes outside of soup, porridge, and stir fry, and spaghetti, which tend to get old pretty quickly. Does anyone have any tips on how to put together a quick meal? I don't have a lot of time during the day to cook, so preferably something that can be made in around 30 min. or less would be really helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Hi Luuchan,
How about a burger: you need mince meat of beef or pork, add seasoning, touch of mustard, mix it with your mince. Form patties, cook them in a frypan or grill. Get a nice fresh bread roll and cut in half. For your filling you can use lettuce, tomatoes, pickled cucumbers. For your burger you can fry off some onions, a fried egg and a slice of fried bacon. Also a slice of Swiss cheese for a cheese burger.
Or
You can do the same with a steak sandwich. Use a steak, beef, pork or chicken about 120 to 150 grams. Cook it to your liking. You can use a fresh bread roll or some sliced rye bread and toast it. For your filling you can use the same like your burger and add what ever you like.
Or
Do you like fish? Fish does not take long to cook. Use a filet of fish like salmon or flake. Season it with lemon juice and a touch of Worcester sauce, a touch of sea salt and black grounded pepper. Marinade the filet or about 5 minutes. Take filet out of marinade and dust it with flour. Fry off in frypan with olive oil and a touch of butter. The cooking time will only be about 5 minutes. Before you cook the fish, get some nicely cut fresh vegetables and steam them until ready, keep them slightly crunchy. Just before your vegetables are ready, cook your fish. Once your fish is cooked, take out of the frypan, add a touch of white wine in to the pan, some cream and a bit of fresh lemon juice. Reduce the sauce and add some seasoning and a touch of fresh dill. Voila. Pan fried fish on white wine sauce with fresh steamed vegetables. You can cook some rice with it or some potatoes.
Those ideas I use when I don't have a lot of time and it is not so expensive, mind you salmon is not cheap. You may use a different fish.
I hope I could give you a few ideas and enjoy.
Cheers cookwaresets

Fish is a good idea because it really does need to be cooked quickly. But seafood is quick too. How about stir-fried prawns with ginger and spring onion? If you get the hang of this dish you can add different veg or use chicken strips instead of prawns. You need:

Raw shelled prawns (shrimp in U.S.), garlic, chilli, root ginger, coriander (cilantro) and spring onions, a lime, fish sauce (optional), light soy sauce. And noodles (instructions on packet!)
  • Finely chop the chilli, garlic and coriander (use a spice grinder if you have one). Put in a bowl with the juice of half the lime and add the prawns.
  • Leave for 10 minutes to marinate, whilst you create nice little matchsticks of fresh ginger. Do this by peeling the ginger and cutting off knobbly bits then slicing finely. Stack the slices and cut in strips to make thin matchsticks. Then cut up the spring onions with scissors into half inch (2 cm) pieces.
  • Heat a tbsp of oil in a non-stick frying pan or wok. Add the ginger and spring onion and fry on a high heat for 3 mins. Add the prawns (minus the marinade) and turn in the oil until they go pink (about 1 or 2 minutes) then add the marinade and cook a further few minutes to heat it through.
  • Add a Tbsp of light soy sauce and a splash of fish sauce (optional).
  • Pour over noodles and snip over more coriander.

When I was younger I loved to experiment with different cheap foods and made some that ended up tasting a little more like gourmet! One of my favorites was what I called "loaded mac and cheese." Get some Annie's Organic mac and cheese (not the cheap Kraft kind) and make it as directed, except add sour cream and milk to the sauce, not water. Then fry some onions and some beef susage link in a buttered pan and stir these into the pot of mac and cheese (I have also added green beans in the past too when I had them on hand).

I remembered when I was in my fourth year in College I lived in a dormitory near our University because that time since we are graduating we had so many school activities and I had no time travelling from home to school and vice versa. And so I had learned how to cook for myself. And the quick and cheap recipe I always cook is what I called my own version of Mixed Fried Rice...Its only simple....saute the garlic add the cooked rice, scrambled egg strips, cooked chicken strips, chopped carrots, slice mushrooms..mix together then add oyster sauce to taste and continue mixing until cooked. For me it is already a full meal and I am always on the go for my school works.

Try beans - they're usually inexpensive, easy to cook and delicious to eat once prepared. As mentioned above, sandwiches are classic, but you probably want more of a challenge, so I'd give the beans a try.

Back when I was a student, I was a master of ground beef recipes. Chili, pasta sauces, meatloaf, meatballs, burgers, stuffed peppers with a seasoned ground meat and couscous or other grain filling- there's so many things you can do with ground beef and it's quite inexpensive! It was my go-to because of its price and versatility!

For quick and cheap, the first thing that comes to my mind is fried food. Perhaps an omelet is it because when we are in a hurry in the morning, my husband would always whip something new... an omelet. Whatever is in the fridge, he can concoct something like tomato or potato omelet. One time he made an omelet from the leftover chili beans. He always say that omelet takes only 5 minutes of your time (in cooking) and the best part is you have something hot to eat. So it's an omelet for me.

If you have a little more time but want REALLY simple take a couple of pieces of chicken place in a baking tray surround with a few small potatoes, slices of onion, pepper [anything you fancy really] sprinkle with oil and a little pepper / salt / [garlic if you fancy - but not too much] and put it in the oven for about an hour. About as easy as it gets really and it looks so impressive.

If you would like some vegetables, go try a simple cauliflower meal. If your budget will not allow you to bake it, you can simply blanch or boil the whole cauliflower head. Then top it with your favorite dressing or gravy. You can prepare your own topping or opt to buy from the grocery. Add a dash of pepper and salt on top

I love cauliflower. I make a white cheese sauce to top my cauliflower.
Cheese sauce: milk, flour, grated tasty cheese. First I bring the milk to nearly boiling point. I make a runny paste with white flour and cold milk. I add the paste in to the hot milk. Stir well and cook until the sauce thickens. I add the grated tasty cheese or Parmesan cheese in to the sauce and stir until the cheese is melted. A pinch of nutmeg, black pepper and if needed a pinch of salt.
Enjoy

I love cauliflower. I make a white cheese sauce to top my cauliflower.
Cheese sauce: milk, flour, grated tasty cheese. First I bring the milk to nearly boiling point. I make a runny paste with white flour and cold milk. I add the paste in to the hot milk. Stir well and cook until the sauce thickens. I add the grated tasty cheese or Parmesan cheese in to the sauce and stir until the cheese is melted. A pinch of nutmeg, black pepper and if needed a pinch of salt.
Enjoy
I make this quite a lot as my daughter is vegetarian and everybody likes this too. Its interesting that you are not using the classic 'roux' technique to make the sauce. I know you can do it your way if you use 'sauce flour' as its called in the UK, or by using cornflour. Why doesn't it go lumpy if you are using ordinary flour?

I sometimes add a big dollop of Dijon mustard to the cheese sauce, which adds piquancy. Also sometimes add crispy bacon pieces (for the meat eaters) or pickled walnut pieces for the vegetarian. Quite often I bake the whole lot in the oven with some halved cherry tomatoes on top, until golden brown on top.

Why doesn't it go lumpy if you are using ordinary flour?
I've always made it with flour. That runny paste has to be thin with no lumps in to start off with, but if you stir constantly as the milk comes back to the boil, there has never been an issue with it going lumpy. I can't explain why, but it never did.

Chicken thighs are very versatile and an inexpensive protein, plus they are much more flavorful than the more expensive chicken breasts. Often times I will see our local grocery store sell large packs of them at really cheap prices. I've bought packs of like 12 thighs for only $3. You can easily pressure cook them with some Mexican seasonings/sauces in just a few minutes and have shreddable, tender meat for tacos or burritos. Or you could go more neutral with your seasoning, and shred the chicken to make pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches. Plus you can reserve the bones and skin in advance of cooking the chicken to save them for making broth - which you can also make in the pressure cooker quickly. Another favorite thing I like to make witch chicken thighs are chicken philly sandwiches - similar to a philly cheese steak, only with chicken thighs cut into strips in place of the more expensive ribeye. You can saute the chicken up with some green peppers and onions rather quickly, then place it on a toasted roll with some provolone cheese, and melt it under a broiler. One more great way to use them is to toss them in a plastic bag with some soy sauce in the morning, so when you come home later in the evening it's ready to go, and all you have to do is throw it into a pan with a little oil, and let them cook through until the outside has a nice deep color (don't cook them too fast over too high of a heat, or the outside will be scorched before the inside is done). It's also important to cook them really well, because if you don't cook them long enough, even though the inside may not be pink, the meat will have a gummy, chewy texture. But if you cook them long enough, they will be tender and juicy. The soy chicken is great with rice, but I also love it over romaine lettuce tossed in a little canola oil and rice wine vinegar.

Another favorite is baked sandwiches. Often times places like the bakery at Wal-Mart, or even your local mom & pop grocery stores with a bakery, will mark down large loaves of french bread when they are a day old or nearing their expiration date. I like to thaw out some frozen spinach and squeeze it as dry as I can get it and use that as my filling, seasoning it with some garlic pepper seasoning, and then adding some feta and mozzarella, and some hot banana peppers, then close the whole sandwich up and wrap it in foil and bake it in the oven until the filling is heated and melted through, then I uncover it, and let it bake some more until the outside is toasted and browned. The nice thing about these are they make enough sandwiches for several meals, for less than what you would pay for one small sandwich at a restaurant.

Potatoes are also inexpensive, and very filling, and there are tons of recipes you can make with them. Home made potato gnocchi's are very easy to make for example, and only require a few inexpensive ingredients, such as potato, and a little flour & egg. You could simply microwave the potato to soften it to the point it can be mashed into the flour along with the egg, then mix it all together and form into a long log, then cut off chunks and roll them with the tines of a fork for their signature shape, then toss them into boiling water for a minute or two, until they float. Baked potatoes are of course easy as well, and you could even bake up a batch of them in one evening, and have them ready to go throughout the rest of the week, just simply microwave them for a few minutes to warm them back up. Home fries are simple too - and if you don't want to be bothered with par boiling them first, you can instead cut them thin and they will cook through pretty quickly in their own steam. I peel them then quarter them lengthwise, then cut them into thin slices (about 1/8th inch thick). Add some canola oil to a really large pan (so all the potatoes can touch the pan), and throw in the potatoes along with some garlic pepper seasoning, give them a toss so everything is coated evenly and make sure the potatoes are all touching the bottom of the pan. Then just add a lid, and let them brown on one side before flipping them all and letting them brown and finish cooking on the other side.

I've always made it with flour. That runny paste has to be thin with no lumps in to start off with, but if you stir constantly as the milk comes back to the boil, there has never been an issue with it going lumpy. I can't explain why, but it never did.
Well, this is a revelation to me! I will definately try this next time I make a white sauce. :)

Back
Top Bottom