Quinoa

glittergirl24

Veteran
Local time
1:31 PM
I just saw a lovely pic of what someone made, and I saw that it involved quinoa. Can anyone tell me what it tastes like and/or how you use it when you cook? I am very curious about it, but don't want to buy it without knowing something about it. I enjoy rice, couscous, and pasta. Is the texture like any of them? Or is it like barley? Any comments would be much appreciated :hungry:

It is very similar to cous cous in many ways with a larger grain
Season it and add things like herbs and spices to it and it's a great carbohydrate

It is a little similar to cous cous, but the texture can be a bit more "crunchy". It has a nutty flavor and is really good. You can cook it plain, then season it with some salt and butter, it will really bring out the nutty flavor. Otherwise you can cook it in some broth as well. It's pretty versatile. You can also puree it after it's cooked and that works well for baby food.

I tried it a few weeks ago and I can definitely relate to what the peeps above wrote. However, I believe rice is tastier. However, quinoa might be more healthy, I'm not really sure. It'd be interesting to compare it with for example brown rice and in terms of nutritional value.

Back
Top Bottom