Recipe Rabbit Ragu

Saranak

Local time
10:57 AM
[Mod.Edit: recipe moved from another post to start new thread]

I always use half beef and half lamb and often rabbit in a Ragu, and white wine never red.

I would be very happy to share and answer questions about Napulitano cuisine; I am not a trained chef I am just a housewife and mother who believes in feeding my family with the best food I can.

I will start by sharing one of my grandmother recipes for rabbit or hare. I did try this with Venison and it worked well.
You will need -
1kg rabbit or hare
Bacon; enough to cover the meat
50 gms unsalted butter,
2 teaspoons tomato puree,
1/2 cup very good olive oil,
2 glasses red wine,
1.5 kg onions,
1 celery
1 carrot
Fresh beef broth, (Most butchers should be able to supply beef bones)

Peel the onions and slice. Wrap the bacon around the meat and tie with string. Place the onions and chopped carrot in a pan with chopped celery and the meat. Add the butter with the olive oil and cook with a moderate heat for two hours. Turn up the heat add the puree and stir. Add the wine a little at a time letting the wine evaporate each time. Add the broth then cook over a very low heat; the meat will absorb all of the flavours. Remove the meat and set aside. Add more broth to the sauce in the pan and cook slowly until shiny and the onions have liquified return the meat until hot. Serve with Pappardelle tossed in more butter or polenta and fresh Ciabatta to mop up the sauce.

I hope that you enjoy should you try, and if there are any questions then please do ask.

Grazie a tutti, Sarana x

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds delicious! I love rabbit - although its not that easy to find around these parts.
Morning Glory, this is peasant food, as most Napulitano recipes are, we were once a very poor people and we learned to make a meal from anything. There are many online stores that deal with game and will deliver to be truthful hare wild hare is far the better option with its game taste the flavours become even more developed. Please try, it is as you say delicious.
Sarana x

[Mod.Edit: recipe moved from another post to start new thread]

I always use half beef and half lamb and often rabbit in a Ragu, and white wine never red.

I would be very happy to share and answer questions about Napulitano cuisine; I am not a trained chef I am just a housewife and mother who believes in feeding my family with the best food I can.

I will start by sharing one of my grandmother recipes for rabbit or hare. I did try this with Venison and it worked well.
You will need -
1kg rabbit or hare
Bacon; enough to cover the meat
50 gms unsalted butter,
2 teaspoons tomato puree,
1/2 cup very good olive oil,
2 glasses red wine,
1.5 kg onions,
1 celery
1 carrot
Fresh beef broth, (Most butchers should be able to supply beef bones)

Peel the onions and slice. Wrap the bacon around the meat and tie with string. Place the onions and chopped carrot in a pan with chopped celery and the meat. Add the butter with the olive oil and cook with a moderate heat for two hours. Turn up the heat add the puree and stir. Add the wine a little at a time letting the wine evaporate each time. Add the broth then cook over a very low heat; the meat will absorb all of the flavours. Remove the meat and set aside. Add more broth to the sauce in the pan and cook slowly until shiny and the onions have liquified return the meat until hot. Serve with Pappardelle tossed in more butter or polenta and fresh Ciabatta to mop up the sauce.

I hope that you enjoy should you try, and if there are any questions then please do ask.

Grazie a tutti, Sarana x

Are you referring to pancetta or guanciale when you mention bacon?

I had rabbit in a stew about 30 years ago, it was really good. I haven't or won't make it as my family wouldn't eat it. It would go to waste.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom