2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 - 6 oz. can tomato paste
6 TB butter
1/4 cup whipping cream
2 tsp. chopped fresh sage
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a 10 to 12 qt heavy-bottom stainless-steel kettle, and add the oil, garlic, celery, carrot and onion. Saute until the onion is transparent, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the pancetta and saute 5 minutes. Add the veal and pork and brown until crumbly, about 5 minutes. Add the parsley, chicken stock, white wine and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and simmer gently, partly covered, for 2 hours. Add the butter, cream, sage and cheese and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Skim the fat from the top of the sauce. Salt and pepper to taste. Makes about 3 quarts

Source: "Frug Cooks Italian" Jeff Smith

Ragu

1/2 cup olive oil
6 cloves garlic
1 rib celery, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1/2 lb. pancetta, coarsely ground
2 lbs. veal, coarsely ground
2 lbs. pork butt, coarsely ground
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 - 6 oz. can tomato paste
6 TB butter
1/4 cup whipping cream
2 tsp. chopped fresh sage
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a 10 to 12 qt heavy-bottom stainless-steel kettle, and add the oil, garlic, celery, carrot and onion. Saute until the onion is transparent, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the pancetta and saute 5 minutes. Add the veal and pork and brown until crumbly, about 5 minutes. Add the parsley, chicken stock, white wine and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and simmer gently, partly covered, for 2 hours. Add the butter, cream, sage and cheese and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Skim the fat from the top of the sauce. Salt and pepper to taste. Makes about 3 quarts

Source: "Frug Cooks Italian" Jeff Smith

Is it referred to Bolognese Ragù?

Is it referred to Bolognese Ragù?
No, he has another recipe for Bolognese made with just beef and his recipe for "Fresh Tomato Sauce Sicilian" Hope this isn't offending any Italians. Is his Ragu anything like they make there?

No, he has another recipe for Bolognese made with just beef and his recipe for "Fresh Tomato Sauce Sicilian" Hope this isn't offending any Italians. Is his Ragu anything like they make there?

Offended? Oh dear no, I was just curious and even a bit amazed because this recipe is a mix of a good ragù base, but then it losts by adding sage and cream and parsley

Really - do you have a good Ragu recipe to share?

Yes I have and it’s very similar to that one you posted..it’s bolognese ragù, but I have another one that is about Neapolitan ragù (a challenge between Bologna and Napoli for ragù).. I’ll post it as soon as I’ll finish the translation in English

Back
Top Bottom