Rainbow Chard

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:15 PM
So beautiful - I bought this the other day and it has to be used! Any ideas for dishes which will showcase the gorgeous colour of the stems would be appreciated. The colour does fade a bit when they are cooked...

20171121_143328.jpg

@morning glory,

Absolutely, superbly splendid ..

I sauté them simply in Bio Evoo which does not fade the magenta rose red stems much. I add a clove or 2 of minced lavendar garlic and sauté until the stems are tender and leaves are wilted only .. A few minutes .. I do same for spinach as well .. And a pinch of salt ..

One can sauté the leaves & the stems separately if you wish as well .. Or a very quick blanching into hot simmering wáter, however, we prefer them sautéed ..

Rainbow chard saag aloo. Recipe here: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/swiss-chard-saag-aloo.10078/ but substitute rainbow chard for the Swiss chard. It's a lot more colourful and as you only put the chard in a couple of minutes before you serve the dish, it keeps its colour. It should look something like this

View attachment 11747
That is coincidental as I was thinking along the lines of using potatoes as a base and topping with the chard. I think I'll adapt that recipe. Thanks!

I have rainbow chard growing in my garden at the moment so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what you come up with!

I've always just used it in place of kale or spinach in pretty much any recipe. I've grown it for years in my old home (ok in the garden veg plot) and used it in colcanon amongst a few other dishes like lasagne.

Back
Top Bottom