Recipe & Video Rajasthani Laal Maas

murphyscreek

Veteran
Local time
12:07 AM
Laal Maas literally translates to "red mutton", with the red coming from a liberal use of dried spicy red chillies. Traditionally it was used to cook game meat on hunting trips in the state of Rajasthan to tone down the "gamey" flavour of meat such as hunted deer. Typically the gravy was cooked right down till it became just a thick coating on the meat pieces, but these days you also see versions with more volume of sauce. In this recipe I've used goat (referred to as mutton in India).

Recipe

Ingredients

1kg goat pieces cut in to large chunks, bone in
4 large dried mathania chillies (or if mathania unavailable substitute another large, spicy, dried red chilli...as hot a variety as available)
4 large dried kashmiri chillies
4 whole green cardamon pods
2 whole black cardamon pods
4 whole cloves
1 whole cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
2 medium onions, halved and sliced thinly
8 cloves garlic, grated
Large hunk ginger, grated
1 tsp kachri powder (or substitute meat tenderiser powder as found in Indian grocery shops)
1 and 1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 and 1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
100gms Greek yoghurt
1 and 1/2 cups water
3 tbsp ghee

Method

Soak dried chillies in water for an hour or so.
Process chillies to a paste, using a little of the soak water as needed.
In a heavy based wok, heat ghee on a medium heat then saute whole spices and bay leaves for a few minutes.
Add onions, and continue frying until onion starts turning translucent.
Add ginger/garlic and fry another minute or two.
Add goat pieces, sprinkle with kachri powder (or meat tenderiser), and brown pieces for 10 minutes or so.
Stir in yoghurt, chilli paste, coriander powder and seasoning, and continue frying another 10 mins or so, stirring regularly.
Use the water to "clean" up any of the leftover remnants of the chilli paste still in the processor, then add to wok.
Simmer curry for 2 hours or so, intially with lid on, but later take lid off to allow gravy to significantly reduce.
In this version, the "gravy" needs to have mostly evaporated, with just a thick coating sticking to the meat pieces.
When meat is tender, stir in garam masala, and cook for a final 5 minutes.
Serve with favourite Indian bread, and/or basmati rice.

View: https://youtu.be/FGOxfA9iR3w

I love this. Bone in is the way to go! It looks rich and delicious and I can but imagine the hot spicy taste. Goat meat is a treat!
Cheers MG.... here's an excellent article on the origins and history of the dish which I've only found just now after publishing my version. Am pretty happy with mine except it seems I should have omitted the coriander powder...whoops. Anyway, still tasted good.

Tracing the Roots of Laal Maas (Includes the Original Recipe)

Back
Top Bottom