Random flavored potato chips?

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
7:48 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
Okay - it might be a stretch putting something under the vegetable section about potato chips - but I didn't know where else to put it!

I just saw Pringles in my local supermarket the other day that were Green Curry flavored. I think they're unique to Japan (I didn't buy them, but I was tempted to give them a try!) but it got me thinking - do you have any weird/wacky potato chip flavors in your country?

And even if it's not random, what's your favorite potato chip flavor? I'm quite partial to BBQ flavored or salt and vinegar, myself!

Edited to add - the proof!

61_Ah_MRf_Am0_L_SY355.jpg

Last edited:
Lays Potato Chips has a contest every year with a big cash prize, for fans to create unusual flavors, then market them on social media. I've participated a few times. I also enjoy barbecue and salt and vinegar chips. I think one of my past suggestions was crab and lime with another ingredient, but I can't recall exactly what it was. I don't have a big enough family/fan base on social media to get enough exposure to spend my time on that nowadays, but I have noticed that some of the flavors are really outrageous, and don't sound at all appetizing to me.

I think I already had posted the way we used to make potato chips at home. The potatoes are sliced thinly and marinated in soy sauce. After 30 minutes, it is deep fried and presto, we have the potato chips. Now I had tasted this potato chips with a myriad of flavoring. From what I remember, there is that wasabi flavor which was biting my tongue. I guess the cheese is the best flavor because it enhances the taste of the potato chips. Unfortunately, my husband didn't like the cheese flavor, it is salty, he said.

Lays contest always comes up with some great flavors. I always like trying them out and seeing which ones are my favorite.
This have been my favorite so far. You don't get much more Canadian than that!

Lays-Maple-Moose-600x442.png

I rarely eat potato chips mainly because of the high salt content in most of them. These snacks are reserved for when I am going on an outing like a picnic, for instance. However, when I do buy potato chips, I go for the Lays potato chips, the barbecued ones. I like them with a little pepper in them too. I also like the low-salt potato chips. I tend to put potato chips in the junk food category, although some may not agree.

Yes, some of the potato chip flavors are really inventive. I am thinking of the Lays variety. I saw some the other day that were unique, but I don't remember the flavor. I was thinking I had to try them. The only thing with these flavored chips I am often disappointed with the flavor. I remember especially the BLT or bacon, lettuce and tomato chips weren't very good. The flavored tortilla chips that I totally loved were Doritos Late Night Cheeseburger. They tasted so authentic, however, like all good things they are now unavailable..:(

Lays contest always comes up with some great flavors. I always like trying them out and seeing which ones are my favorite.
This have been my favorite so far. You don't get much more Canadian than that!

Lays-Maple-Moose-600x442.png

These sound delicious! I would definitely buy these if they were available here. I love that they run a competition for new flavor ideas!

Reactions: L_B
I wouldn't say these are super outrageous but Bacon Mac & Cheese from Lay's is probably my favorite. I don't generally eat a lot of potato chips but these would have to be it when I do. If you've ever had Sour Cream & Bacon flavor from Ruffles, I'd say these come pretty close to that. @Caribbean girl I do agree with you by putting potato chips in the junk food category. They're not an "every day" food as they are high in salt content. I find I have them more during the summer months when we have hamburgers or hot dogs on the bbq. Good? Yes, but in moderation for sure.

I miss salt and vinegar chips, they are near impossible to find them here in Asia. I once saw them in a shop and they were ridiculously priced so I will buy many of them when I return home for vacation. My favorite flavor is Yogurt flavor. I buy snacks in bulk to save money but make sure to moderate my eating, here is my collection of Lays. I hate seaweed so that one is mainly devoured by my partner.
layss.jpg

I don't normally eat potato chips but when we went travelling, particularly in many asian countries I simply had to try out some of these flavors. This was a few months back but I still remember the many different flavors.
potato-chips-unusual-flavors-61__605.jpg

This was my boyfriends favorite one. Mine was a little on the savory side...

5581_o__605.jpg

Back
Top Bottom