Recipe Ras El Hanout Moroccan Spice Mix

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
11:39 PM
I pulled it off of somewhere. I've read about a dozen spice mixes in the last hour. This one seems to be a fun blend of spices.

I plan on making a Moroccan spiced roasted Cauliflower with dinner tonight. I'll be adding this spice to a greek yogurt, coating the entire cauliflower, and roasting until done.

Anyways, here is the spice mix. Comments are welcome

Ingredients
  • 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons turmeric
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cardamom powder ***
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
*** I didn't have any cardamom. I add slightly more cinnamon and nutmeg

Directions
  1. Mix all the spices together.
  2. Store in an airtight container.

20180806_123831.jpg
20180806_122439.jpg

I love ras el hanout, but I've always used a pre-made seasoning. Making your own sounds like a great idea. I like the combination of ingredients and the proportions, except for the sugar. I don't recall too much sweetness in the pre-made seasoning, but maybe that does vary from mix to mix. I do know that sweet favors play a role in North African cuisine, so this would very likely work well in a recipe. And, the cinnamon + nutmeg to replace the cardamom sounds right.

I'm looking forward to pictures of your roasted cauliflower!

I love ras el hanout, but I've always used a pre-made seasoning. Making your own sounds like a great idea. I like the combination of ingredients and the proportions, except for the sugar. I don't recall too much sweetness in the pre-made seasoning, but maybe that does vary from mix to mix. I do know that sweet favors play a role in North African cuisine, so this would very likely work well in a recipe. And, the cinnamon + nutmeg to replace the cardamom sounds right.

I'm looking forward to pictures of your roasted cauliflower!

Thanks bud. The spice mix on its own doesn't taste sweet at all. I like the blend. I usually make all my own spice rubs/mixes. Its kind of fun.

I'm not adding this to the Moroccan challenge. I just posted this in case anyone was interested......and for more threads @morning glory

Great effort @detroitdad ! I too have only ever used the pre-mixed stuff before. Last night whilst rummaging in the back of the store cupboard I came across a jar of ras el hanout paste that I didn't know I had. When I find my glasses I will have a look at what's in it.

We used this on the Cauliflower last night. WOW...........what flavors. Colleen tasted the spice and thought it might be a touch spicy. That wasn't the case when cooking with it.

Back
Top Bottom