Rat Burgers - why not?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:57 AM
Would you eat a rat burger? Or more accurately a giant orange-toothed rodent also known as coypu or river rat, found in southern Russia The furry, whiskered beast is finding its way on to plates at several Moscow restaurants this autumn.

3785.jpg

The recently opened Krasnodar Bistro, named after the southern Russian city from which chef Kholikberdiev hails, is marketed at the new breed of middle-class Muscovite with broad culinary horizons, and fits into a recent trend amongst Moscow restaurants of focusing on high-quality local ingredients.

Those who are a little freaked out by the idea of munching on rodent are simply misinformed, says Kholikberdiev. “It’s a really clean animal; not only is it a herbivore but it washes all its food before it eats. And it’s very high in omega-3 acids. A lot of doctors and dietitians recommend it.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-right-now-moscow-falls-for-the-rodent-burger

Not much on a rat though [ standard rat anyhow - I assume the coypu is a bit bigger]. All these tiny rodents seem a bit of a wast of time to me. Rats squirrels you would get more meat off a carrot ! A bit l;like the eating of tiny birds - you use more energy catching preparing and cooking than you get out of it.

Not much on a rat though [ standard rat anyhow - I assume the coypu is a bit bigger]. All these tiny rodents seem a bit of a wast of time to me. Rats squirrels you would get more meat off a carrot ! A bit l;like the eating of tiny birds - you use more energy catching preparing and cooking than you get out of it.
Preperation is quite simple. Small slit on the underside, to pull the inards out. Then a skewer from one end t'tother for cooking.

Preperation is quite simple. Small slit on the underside, to pull the inards out. Then a skewer from one end t'tother for cooking.
Still seems a bit 'dinky' though. Calories in vs calories out, after all we are not in some sort of Bear Grylls survival camp here and the thing needs skinning [no I'm not eating the skin] and the feet ? and the head ? and the tail ? Just give me a steak.

Still seems a bit 'dinky' though. Calories in vs calories out, after all we are not in some sort of Bear Grylls survival camp here and the thing needs skinning [no I'm not eating the skin] and the feet ? and the head ? and the tail ? Just give me a steak.
Skinning! What do you think stops it falling apart?

I would never even dream of eating rat. The thought of it makes me want to gag. They are disgusting ugly little creatures.

Skinning! What do you think stops it falling apart?
Leaving it in the ground where it belongs ? :giggle:
Seriously - would I eat one ? If it were that or starve - yes but in reality I would be trying for a rabbit in those circumstances. Besides ordinary rats in industrialised areas can eat some very strange things and maybe dangerous things.:yuck:

Back
Top Bottom