Ration Challenge 2020

LadyBelle

Veteran
Local time
2:00 PM
I am almost half way through the refugee ration challenge, raising money and awareness for Syrian refugees.
The challenge is to live for seven days on the ration box received by a refugee in a camp. The box contains -

Rice 420g Lentils 170g Dried chickpeas 85g Tinned sardines 120g Tinned kidney beans 400g Vegetable oil 330ml and by raising various amounts you can get “extra’s” (spices, milk etc).

Its been much more difficult than I expected. Basically detoxing from caffeine, sugar, gin and chocolate whilst eating quite a bland diet. I mean it’s only a week (and I’m not exactly skinny) but it’s definitely not a walk in the park.
Getting my rations together and looking at various ways to use things has been quite good fun though. I made the mistake of only having a bowl of rice on the first and second day (one small meal a day no fun), but today I had some soup for lunch made from the lentils and I feel much better.

Has anyone else from here previously done the challenge or doing it this year? My biggest challenge is avoiding looking at foodie blogs/instagram posts/cookbooks!

I’ve raised a little over £200 so pleased and grateful.

Hi. I've never done it or heard about it until I read your post. Just wanted to congratulate you on participating in what sounds like a wonderful project and give you some encouragement. All the best to you!

I am almost half way through the refugee ration challenge, raising money and awareness for Syrian refugees.
The challenge is to live for seven days on the ration box received by a refugee in a camp. The box contains -

Rice 420g Lentils 170g Dried chickpeas 85g Tinned sardines 120g Tinned kidney beans 400g Vegetable oil 330ml and by raising various amounts you can get “extra’s” (spices, milk etc).

Its been much more difficult than I expected. Basically detoxing from caffeine, sugar, gin and chocolate whilst eating quite a bland diet. I mean it’s only a week (and I’m not exactly skinny) but it’s definitely not a walk in the park.
Getting my rations together and looking at various ways to use things has been quite good fun though. I made the mistake of only having a bowl of rice on the first and second day (one small meal a day no fun), but today I had some soup for lunch made from the lentils and I feel much better.

Has anyone else from here previously done the challenge or doing it this year? My biggest challenge is avoiding looking at foodie blogs/instagram posts/cookbooks!

Congrats for doing that, helpful and informative!

After reading that, though, I think I'd donate twice the amount to not have to live on that! :)

I admire you eating out of your comfort food wise. I could never do it,I need rum daily to function. If they had collection areas here I would just throw a Tenner in the box. Syria is such a mess.

Russ

Never heard of this challenge before - the rations are very plain! I could cope if I had loads of spices plus oil, onions, tinned tomatoes and eggs. But eating plain rice and lentils is rather bleak. Was flour included for the flatbreads?

I have to give you a big round of applause for sticking to it. :bravo::woot:

Really well done!

Thank you all. It’s been much more difficult than I thought. Yesterday I actually had a 24 hour fast (apart from water), as I was feeling lousy.
Day 6 today so I’m nearly at the end. Still feeling quite ropey to be honest but in keeping with tradition it’s fish Friday so I opened the sardines. I’m not converted.

Raisely

2942F67C-085E-4470-8257-BBD2816E00C6.jpeg

Thank you!
Yes 400g of flour for the 7 days. (Plain flour though).
A recipe booklet was Also provided but you have to choose carefully. There’s a bread recipe that used 300g of flour in one hit so not something I’ve tried. The flatbread recipe worked well for me and I had enough for 2 days.

I had sardines and rice for lunch (blugh). I’ve made a variation on hummus and falafel for supper this evening. I’ll make flatbread again to go with.

Thank you all. It’s been much more difficult than I thought. Yesterday I actually had a 24 hour fast (apart from water), as I was feeling lousy.
Day 6 today so I’m nearly at the end. Still feeling quite ropey to be honest but in keeping with tradition it’s fish Friday so I opened the sardines. I’m not converted.

Raisely

View attachment 46588View attachment 46588

Sardines can be use quite creatively - but I think you are lacking in ingredients to go with them...

They are good in a pasta sauce, for example.

Back
Top Bottom