Reduce the meat add mushrooms

Pat

Veteran
Local time
11:30 AM
I made chili for dinner last night. I used ground turkey as my meat. There was not enough meat so I chopped up mushrooms to add to the ground turkey. I worked, no one knew that the mushrooms had been added to replace the meat, mushrooms are very healthy for you.

I do stuff like that too, it does work and stretches the meat out. I add red and green peppers, onions, beans, tomatoes and just a small amount of ground turkey or chicken. It still makes a whole skillet full and you can still taste the meat.

That's a great idea, especially since I would like to eat mushrooms a little more regularly. I've heard they are very healthy, but I don't really like the taste unless it is drown in something much stronger. I might try some shiitake mushrooms in my next stew and see how that goes. If I don't taste the mushrooms much at all, I will call it a success.

I love mushrooms and use them a lot in my cooking. I prefer the big flat cap type and what are known in the UK as chestnut mushrooms (they are chestnut brown and have a nutty taste). I use mushrooms in preference to meat rather than as an addtion, but I can see how they can be used to make meat dishes more tasty.

I got the idea from a cooking show that comes on to show you how to reduce the calories in foods we eat , who to make them healthier. No need to stop eating what you like just make it better for you.

Back
Top Bottom