Recipe Remoulade

versicorange

Veteran
Local time
5:42 AM
I thought I'd share my recipe for remoulade, though I'm afraid it's not very precise. I don't think I've ever measured it to know how much of what I use, so I'm estimating on amounts. Sorry for that!

This is Louisiana style remoulade, not French.

Around a cup of mayonnaise
Between a quarter and half cup of ketchup
One or two tablespoons of yellow mustard
One or two tablespoons of brown mustard
Two tablespoons prepared horseradish
One or two teaspoons or Cajun seasoning
Lots of black pepper. You should be able to see black pepper throughout all of it.

Just mix everything together, and store it in a sealing bowl or jar. I'll eat this stuff on just about anything.

See to me being traditionally trained remoulade is a celeriac coleslaw with mustard seed and lemon juice in it , I serve it with smoked game

One of my favorite restaurants has an appetizer of fried green tomatoes served with remoulade. Now, I can try it at home too! Thanks for sharing!

See to me being traditionally trained remoulade is a celeriac coleslaw with mustard seed and lemon juice in it , I serve it with smoked game

Thanks for that! You've just given me an idea. I assume the celeriac is raw and you just shred it?

I thought I'd share my recipe for remoulade...

Not being a fan or either horseradish or mayonnaise, I tend to prefer lighter styles of remoulade. It pairs well with shrimp or fried green tomatoes, but that is the only time I think of having it, usually in a restaurant, so I have never made my own. I have to say though, lots of black pepper isn't necessarily a good thing for your digestive system, and most restaurants definitely would never serve it that way.

Thanks for that! You've just given me an idea. I assume the celeriac is raw and you just shred it?

just peel the celeriac and either grate,shred or as do put it other the fine blade of a mandolin ,remember to coat the celeriac quickly with mayonnaise as it will go miss coloured

Couldn't I just toss it in a bit of lemon juice to keep it from becoming discolored? I'd prefer to use citric acid rather than mayonnaise. At some point I intend to make homemade ali oli, but I could also use tahini in place of mayo. I do need to get myself a mandoline, ASAP!

Couldn't I just toss it in a bit of lemon juice to keep it from becoming discolored? I'd prefer to use citric acid rather than mayonnaise. At some point I intend to make homemade ali oli, but I could also use tahini in place of mayo. I do need to get myself a mandoline, ASAP!
yes ,lemon juice does the trick and or aioli of sorts will be great,mandolins are great i use mine all the time,nice carrot julienne and cucumber for salads,i can make gaufrette potatoes or slice pots for dauphinoise or crisps,or back on the blades for real french fried potatoes,

yes ,lemon juice does the trick and or aioli of sorts will be great,mandolins are great i use mine all the time,nice carrot julienne and cucumber for salads,i can make gaufrette potatoes or slice pots for dauphinoise or crisps,or back on the blades for real french fried potatoes,

Wow, that's some serious cooking you're getting up to, lol! I used to do more, but now I just keep things simple. I really do want a mandoline so I'm going to have to see if I can swing one next pay day. I tried making eggplant chips, but the slicing just isn't the same with a knife. I think I have some remoulade recipes pinnned; I'll have to go back through them again and see what I come up with for the celriac - had a salad at an event a while back that was so good! Never occurred to me it might be some kind of remoulade variation

Back
Top Bottom