Replacing tinned tomatoes with fresh tomatoes

Would you use this recipe for tomato sauce? Interesting that it doesn't have onions.
Yes, that looks very similar to the pizza sauce I make. There´s no need for onions, to be honest, although if you want to add them, fine. All you need to do while the sauce is cooking is to mash it down with a potato masher, so it gets thicker and breaks up the whole tomatoes. If you decide to blend it to a paste, then fine, too. IF you can find fresh oregano and basil, then it is preferable.
The only thing I´d leave out for an Italian pizza sauce is the chile powder; but since the blogger is Indian, I fully understand!

I ended up adding 0.5 tbsp of oregano to my recipe with the onions and 1 tsp of basil after blitzing. I used 3 tbsp of olive oil and left for a bit less than 3 hours.
I used a tiny bit of salt at the start then a tsp later on with 2 tsp of pepper.
It tasted great, thanks for your help.

I find that if I let it simmer for much less than 3 hours it's a bit watery.

I tried using fresh tomatoes instead of tinned. It was too watery. What's the best way to evaporate the water - lid on or lid off?
Another way to get rid of some water would be add chia seeds after the tomatoes have burst and let off their water.
Given the water content, is it best to add tomato puree before the tomatoes as per the original recipe or after the tomatoes have burst?
What about other spices like dried oregano, salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary? Does the water content of the tomatoes mean I should add them later?

I tried using fresh tomatoes instead of tinned. It was too watery. What's the best way to evaporate the water - lid on or lid off?
Another way to get rid of some water would be add chia seeds after the tomatoes have burst and let off their water.
Given the water content, is it best to add tomato puree before the tomatoes as per the original recipe or after the tomatoes have burst?
What about other spices like dried oregano, salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary? Does the water content of the tomatoes mean I should add them later?
You'll only succeed in a sensible time scale at evaporating water off without the lid on. It needs to be a simmer, not a boil.

Absorbing the water won't really help much with the flavour. Simmer to reduce volume and add tomato puree to taste. It won't really matter before or after. I generally do after with new recipes so I can gauge how much is needed.

If your recipe says to add the dried herbs at the beginning, then carry on that way. Dried herbs need to soften, especially thicker ones such as thyme and rosemary. Don't over think it.

Would it be worth adding chia seeds when the tomatoes have burst? Perhaps they would make it less watery. If so, should be stirred in or just add them and leave?

Would it be worth adding chia seeds when the tomatoes have burst? Perhaps they would make it less watery. If so, should be stirred in or just add them and leave?
I honestly don't know. I'm guessing it won't affect the concentration of tomato flavour in the pan because it will just absorb tomato flavoured water, not just plain water, so you won't gain anything extra in tomato flavour because you aren't concentrating that flavour.

My tomato sauce is tomato from our garden with salt, onions, apples sugar and a few spices like allspice and pepper. Boiled for approximately 2 1/2 hrs. I usually make about 20 litres in summer.
I make small batches for my pasta sauce adding basil and oregano. Etc

Russ

My tomato sauce is tomato from our garden with salt, onions, apples sugar and a few spices like allspice and pepper. Boiled for approximately 2 1/2 hrs. I usually make about 20 litres in summer.
I make small batches for my pasta sauce adding basil and oregano. Etc

Russ
When do you add the sugar and spices?

Back
Top Bottom