Restaurant Service

I thought Ford built all rangers and Mazda rebadged them as the B series.

That was the case for several years -- 1990s - early 2000s? Then Mazda dropped out of the US pickup market, and built their own trucks for the global market, and Ford rebadged them as Rangers in the global market.

CD

Craig gets a medium soda when we get fast food burgers. There is absolutely NO WAY that his medium drink is 946 ml or 1 quart or 32 ounces as pictured above. It's more like 16 ounces. Whoever came up with that comparison is grossly exaggerating for some reason
Well as I've never been in the USA you must be right, however the book I have 'Fastfood nation' by Eric Schlosser and 'Supersize me' by Morgan Spurlock, does confirm this. As does googling 'standard American soda sizes'.
So I am guessing either those sources are wrong, or it depends on where in America you are. It's something generally accepted as fact here, for sure. Maybe prejudice then, but this is where I got the idea.

Either way, there's no such thing as free refills here and standard restaurant glasses are smaller than fast food cups. This is different on the continent than the UK by the way, the UK has their own drink size system.

Either way, there's no such thing as free refills here and standard restaurant glasses are smaller than fast food cups. This is different on the continent than the UK by the way, the UK has their own drink size system.

In my numerous trips to Holland I've found that beer is usually served in half pint glasses (or a metric equivalent) and the beer rarely takes up more than 50% of the space.

In my numerous trips to Holland I've found that beer is usually served in half pint glasses (or a metric equivalent) and the beer rarely takes up more than 50% of the space.
Whilst I haven't travelled extensively in the Netherlands, I don't recall the beer being served any differently to elsewhere in Europe: mainly in 500ml glasses for a "large" (a fraction smaller than a UK pint).

Whilst I haven't travelled extensively in the Netherlands, I don't recall the beer being served any differently to elsewhere in Europe: mainly in 500ml glasses for a "large" (a fraction smaller than a UK pint).

But the glasses are (or were) only half full!

Exept a large is not quite something we commonly order. This is our common beer glass:

This is the regular big beer glass

But the glasses are (or were) only half full!
Yes there is normally more head than we're used to seeing in the UK but rarely (in my experience) is the beer only half full....its just a different way of doing things and actually the British way is in the minority. Most continental beer drinkers see a decent head as a sign of a good quality beer.

Exept a large is not quite something we commonly order.
Maybe its because we're tourists, but we've almost always been asked what size we wanted when ordering. Though you have to be a bit careful in Germany....large there is often 1 litre :okay:

Yes there is normally more head than we're used to seeing in the UK but rarely (in my experience) is the beer only half full....its just a different way of doing things and actually the British way is in the minority. Most continental beer drinkers see a decent head as a sign of a good quality beer.

Maybe its because we're tourists, but we've almost always been asked what size we wanted when ordering. Though you have to be a bit careful in Germany....large there is often 1 litre :okay:
I guess so, I can't recall the last time I was asked that. I always have to order a large to get one, no one serves them just like that . I guess it is because they know other countries have different standards

Manchester Airport c. 2002.

"A pint of Boddington's Best Bitter my good man please"

Barman pulls beer into a pint glass and places it on the bar.

"That'll be £3.20 sir"

"Bejasus, that's expensive! How much is it for a pint?"

"£3.20 sir"

"Well why are you charging me the same for three quarters?"

Barman retrieves the glass and proceeds to top up the beer.

"Thank you"

Manchester Airport c. 2002.

"A pint of Boddington's Best Bitter my good man please"

Barman pulls beer into a pint glass and places it on the bar.

"That'll be £3.20 sir"

"Bejasus, that's expensive! How much is it for a pint?"

"£3.20 sir"

"Well why are you charging me the same for three quarters?"

Barman retrieves the glass and proceeds to top up the beer.

"Thank you"

Anything over about a half inch of head on a beer is unacceptable on a beer in the US.

CD

Anything over about a half inch of head on a beer is unacceptable on a beer in the US.

CD

In the UK (I'm going back 20 plus years) there were two different sized glasses to hold an Imperial pint. One was precisely one pint and the other had a capacity of more than a pint (possibly 5 - 6% more). The latter had a white line around the top which indicated the correct volume of one pint. In order to "pull a pint" into the oversized glass one needed an electric pump capable of discharging precisely ½ pint on each operation of the pump. These were generally used for keg and lager beer for those who didn't give a toss about the quality.

The former is (was) used to serve traditional "real" ale which needed human intervention to produce a perfect pint with around a 3 or 4 mm creamy head.

[Edit: Guinness is a different kettle of worms]

Back
Top Bottom