Restaurant Service

The vegetarian restaurant we went to last weekend was new to us, and while the food was good we won't go back. That's for a couple of reasons.

1) It's marketed as an all you can eat tapas bar, but after 3 soft drinks a head (we don't drink alcohol) we were told that we were going through the drinks too fast according to the server. I mean, what? We only had 4 drinks total, we just tend to drink a little more at the start of a meal. But come on, it's all you can eat. 3 drinks is not quite ' fast'.
2) The service was slow, and people who came after us got food sooner than we did. The server passed our cramped table with emptly plates a million times before they cleaned up the empty plates.
3) The toilets weren't clean and lacked toilet paper, which means the kitchen probably isn't either. A tip from Anthony Bourdain that has so far always rang true.

And the good was pretty good, but given the above this wasn't enough for us to go back.

It's marketed as an all you can eat tapas bar, but after 3 soft drinks a head (we don't drink alcohol) we were told that we were going through the drinks too fast according to the server.
Around here, from greasy spoon diners to fancy special-occasion supper clubs, any nonalcoholic drinks are nearly always offered with free refills included. You don't even have to ask, they just keep filling and filling and filling.

Around here, from greasy spoon diners to fancy special-occasion supper clubs, any nonalcoholic drinks are nearly always offered with free refills included. You don't even have to ask, they just keep filling and filling and filling.
I know, that's not the norm here. But neither is critiquing what a guest drinks unless they are bringing the house down, which non alcolholic drinks should certainly not do and especially not 3 of them a head.

I know, that's not the norm here. But neither is critiquing what a guest drinks unless they are bringing the house down, which non alcolholic drinks should certainly not do and especially not 3 of them a head.
Part of it is the initial cost is marked up quite a bit. For example, my folks love going to a local chain buffet, and a glass of iced tea is about $2.50, which is a lot more than it cost to make that one glass.

My dad worked for a soft drinks company. Once when we'd gone out to a place to eat, the waitress came around and asked if we wanted refills of our soft drinks, and I declined.

My dad smacked me one as soon as she walked away and rather forcefully explained that what put shoes on my feet and food in my stomach was dependent directly on how much pop his employer sold - "...so you always get refills, Egghead! Always!"

:laugh:

Part of it is the initial cost is marked up quite a bit. For example, my folks love going to a local chain buffet, and a glass of iced tea is about $2.50, which is a lot more than it cost to make that one glass.

My dad worked for a soft drinks company. Once when we'd gone out to a place to eat, the waitress came around and asked if we wanted refills of our soft drinks, and I declined.

My dad smacked me one as soon as she walked away and rather forcefully explained that what put shoes on my feet and food in my stomach was dependent directly on how much pop his employer sold - "...so you always get refills, Egghead! Always!"

My first car got 8 MPG, so I guess I supported my dad's employer pretty well.

CD

Wow... I don't have a QR code thing on my phone, either. My phone probably dates back to 2015, too.

Some places will give you "silverware" here - plastic ware. I am glad my local breakfast/lunch eatery provides silverware (unless of course if it's a take out order). We get printed, laminated menus - easy to clean.

2K a month is not big money. If people can't make that working, then wages/tips are too low. If it is 2K a month to stay home, vs less money to work, why work? I suppose when the government money dries up, employers will be able to pay workers badly again. That's what seems to be the strategy in the Us. Wait until workers are desperate, then they'll be lining up to work for $7.50 an hour again.

CD
It's not even that... some people have simply looked around and found better-paying jobs. Without the aggravation of certain customers. (Who by the way are NOT Karens - I love that beautiful name, and will note that I have too many nice friends who have that name to ever use it in a denigrating manner. Indeed, if I'd ever had daughters, the names Karen and Nicole would have been on the short list.)

I can barely get through one glass of soda. I would have asked, "do you just want me to get this just so we throw it out?" (Of course if Dad were intimidating, that's what I'd be thinking of saying, as a child...) But then again I was the kid who in all seriousness piped up with the reply, "I would love to send this to them, can we?" when confronted with a mother over "Think of all the starving children in India, EAT it!"

It's not even that... some people have simply looked around and found better-paying jobs. Without the aggravation of certain customers. (Who by the way are NOT Karens - I love that beautiful name, and will note that I have too many nice friends who have that name to ever use it in a denigrating manner. Indeed, if I'd ever had daughters, the names Karen and Nicole would have been on the short list.)

I can barely get through one glass of soda. I would have asked, "do you just want me to get this just so we throw it out?" (Of course if Dad were intimidating, that's what I'd be thinking of saying, as a child...) But then again I was the kid who in all seriousness piped up with the reply, "I would love to send this to them, can we?" when confronted with a mother over "Think of all the starving children in India, EAT it!"
The american idea of a glass of soda is quite different from ours though. Ours is max 250 mls, which roughly translates to 8 oz.

A comparison between standard european soda sizes and american ones:

So a normal restaurant glass is smaller than the 'small' European Mcdonalds drink. So I am pretty sure you would get through one of those. So with 4 glasses of soda, we've had roughly a medium American drink.

Craig gets a medium soda when we get fast food burgers. There is absolutely NO WAY that his medium drink is 946 ml or 1 quart or 32 ounces as pictured above. It's more like 16 ounces. Whoever came up with that comparison is grossly exaggerating for some reason.

Craig gets a medium soda when we get fast food burgers. There is absolutely NO WAY that his medium drink is 946 ml or 1 quart or 32 ounces as pictured above. It's more like 16 ounces. Whoever came up with that comparison is grossly exaggerating for some reason.

Looking closely, the large looks about right, but the small and medium don't look right. I get the small soft drink at fast-food joints. If I get iced tea, I'll get a medium. If I am in my car at the drive-thru, a medium is the largest size that will fit in my cup holder. BTW, all my cars for the last 22 years have been European, which have smaller cup holders than American and Asian cars.

CD

We have 3 cup holders in our Ford Ranger. I have no idea what size they are. They've never been used for cups.

We have 3 cup holders in our Ford Ranger. I have no idea what size they are. They've never been used for cups.

Depending on what year your Ranger is, it is probably a rebadged Mazda pickup. That was Ford's "Global" platform. I believe the new (2021) Rangers are the same as the new US Rangers (not sure).

I don't know what effect that would have on the cup holder size.

CD

Depending on what year your Ranger is, it is probably a rebadged Mazda pickup. That was Ford's "Global" platform. I believe the new (2021) Rangers are the same as the new US Rangers (not sure).

CD
I thought Ford built all rangers and Mazda rebadged them as the B series.

CD

It's a 2010 Wildtrack (without the stickers).

Back
Top Bottom