Rice cooker

primalclaws1974

Veteran
Local time
7:03 AM
I was unaware that a "rice cooker" even existed until someone at work brought in a rice dish cooked in one. It was fantastic! The rice was a different kind of moist and flavorful. Do you think a rice cooker is worth the cost? Does it make rice dishes taste differently than cooking in another fashion?

I have a rice cooker and I am actually trying to sell it because we don't use it anymore. If you learn how to cook rice properly on the stove you get exactly the same result and you don't have to have a piece of kitchen equipment on the counter that is really only good for one thing.

Rice cookers aren't usually that expensive and are generally worth the cost. That's especially true if you need or like to make a bunch of rice and need it made in a quick amount of time. The above commenter is right though, if you learn how to cook it on the stove, it comes out the same. I just like not having to focus so much time on the rice itself.

I don't think it tastes any different but it's extremely convenient. I like it because you can forget about it and it's not going to burn or anything and it seems to cook faster.

Well I have always cooked rice on the stove, and over time I seem to have perfected the art of doing so. I have never used a rice cooker before, but now that I am reading about it here, it sounds like a good piece of cookware to have. When cooking rice I always have to be back and forth checking to see how it is cooking, if it still has water, if I need to lower the stove, add water, etc. Since a rice cooker would save me having to do all this, I think it must be rather convenient. The thought of it cooking faster is not a bad thing either.

I cook rice on a regular basis. The only thing is, I tend to use peas more often than not when I cook rice. I would cook the peas to a certain texture and then add in the rice. I don't know how this would work with a rice cooker. I guess the peas would have to be cooked separately and then mixed in with the rice afterwards.

I have a rice cooker and it works just fine. For as much as I eat and cook rice I thought I would be better at it, well I am with minute rice, which doesn't need a rice cooker, but with brown rice and other types of rice, a rice cooker works wonders. The process is much easier.

Back
Top Bottom