Recipe Rio Grande Style Carne Guisada

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
3:13 AM
Carne Guisada is a Hispanic dish, and it translates to stewed meat. It can be made with just about any kind of meat, but is most often made with beef. It's very popular in Texas, especially in the Rio Grande Valley, which is the border region (border of the United States and Mexico) south of where I live. http://www.food.com/recipe/rio-grande-valley-style-carne-guisada-80408

I originally thought the dish was Mexican or Tex-Mex, but I've also seen Puerto Rican and Dominican versions, so apparently it is Hispanic in origin, and not specific to Mexico or South Texas.

What strikes me as unusual about this recipe is the fact that the meat (after searing) is boiled for 30 minutes in water. Its only after that, that the vegetables and spices are added. Then a roux, which is made separately is added. Its almost like a back to front recipe. Most recipes for this type of dish would sear the meat and sauté the vegetables in oil (possibly then add flour to make a roux) and add spices. Water (or stock) would only be added at this point. Its the boiling of the meat I found strange.

Last edited:
What strikes me as unusual about this recipe is the fact that the meat (after searing) is boiled for 30 minutes in water. Its only after that, that the vegetables and spices are added. Then a roux, which is made separately is added. Its almost like a back to front recipe. Most recipes for this type of dish would sear the meat and sauté the vegetables in oil (possibly then add flour to make a roux) and add spices. Water (or stock) would only be added at this point. Its the boiling of the meat I found strange.

Here's another version of the same dish. I think perhaps they meant simmer, rather than boil, in the original recipe I posted. http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/93232/south-texas-carne-guisada/ The meat comes out very tender, not rubbery, as it might if boiled.

Here's another version of the same dish. I think perhaps they meant simmer, rather than boil, in the original recipe I posted. http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/93232/south-texas-carne-guisada/ The meat comes out very tender, not rubbery, as it might if boiled.
Yes, I see that to simmer makes more sense. But it was the fact that the meat was cooked in water first that I found odd. This alternative recipe doesn't do that, so it seems more familiar. In this one, the meat is browned first and then the vegetables and spices added, then water. Interestingly though, there is no flour added in this version so this would result in quite a watery sauce. I guess its a bit like a lot of traditional dishes, the method and flavouring varies from recipe to recipe.

Yes, I see that to simmer makes more sense. But it was the fact that the meat was cooked in water first that I found odd. This alternative recipe doesn't do that, so it seems more familiar. In this one, the meat is browned first and then the vegetables and spices added, then water. Interestingly though, there is no flour added in this version so this would result in quite a watery sauce. I guess its a bit like a lot of traditional dishes, the method and flavouring varies from recipe to recipe.

Yes, hopefully at some point, I'll find the recipe I've used, which is the best, and the original way I had it. I haven't made it in years, so I don't recall how it was done, but it's definitely flavorful, and this is a dish that's very popular at local Mexican restaurants, as well as in many homes here.

Back
Top Bottom