Recipe Roast turnip, potato and garlic with harissa and orange

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
4:21 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I found a few recipes of Yotam Ottolenghi’s published in The Guardian which looked interesting, so thought I would put them up here for everyone.

Roast turnip, potato and garlic with harissa and orange

16d680e4-a1db-4159-a180-1b9e64d797d8-2060x1236.png

The natural mellow bitterness of turnips is a wonderful base on which sweet, fruity and spicy flavours can shine. Serve with couscous for a light supper. Serves four.

Ingredients
1kg turnips, peeled and cut into 4cm wedges (880g net weight)
500g waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 4cm pieces
1 whole head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
½ tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp caraway seeds
1½ tbsp rose harissa (or normal harissa)
Shaved skin of 1 orange
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt
100g watercress

For the dressing
2 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp fennel seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
3 tbsp olive oil

Method
Heat the oven to 200C/390F/gas mark 6. Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil, add the turnips, potatoes and garlic, and boil for six minutes. Drain, refresh under cold water and pat dry.

Put the par-bolied veg in a large roasting tray and mix through the paprika, caraway, harissa, orange skin, oil and three-quarters of a teaspoon of salt. Roast for 40 minutes, turning every 15 minutes or so, until the vegetables are cooked through and have taken on some colour. Remove and set aside for 10 minutes, to cool slightly.

While the vegetables are roasting, make the dressing. Put the citrus juices in a small bowl with the fennel seeds and a quarter-teaspoon of salt, then slowly whisk in the oil until combined.

To serve, spread half the vegetables on a large platter and layer half the watercress on top. Repeat with the remaining vegetables and watercress, drizzle the dressing over the top and serve warm.

Wow, that picture proper made me hungry. The dish looks gorgeous and very filling! I am definitely trying this out later on.... Thanks for the share!
I'll see how to jazz it up for the meat eater's in the house.

That dish is gorgeous! Can I pin from this forum? I'll have to add this to my list of things to try! Harissa is not a part of my pantry so I'll have to hunt that down, and I guess I'll have to start letting at least one of my fennel plants go to seed. I didn't have many caterpillars last year so I'm actually about to have bulbs for a change (I keep it as butterfly food).

Wow, that picture proper made me hungry. The dish looks gorgeous and very filling! I am definitely trying this out later on.... Thanks for the share!
I'll see how to jazz it up for the meat eater's in the house.

That's easy, just cut some chicken pieces and roast along with the vegetables, though I don't see why you couldn't just serve this as a side dish.

I'm so going to try that. And not too many obscure ingredients by Ottolenghi standards!

That's easy, just cut some chicken pieces and roast along with the vegetables, though I don't see why you couldn't just serve this as a side dish.[/QUOTE]

You have a point there ChanellG, guess I was looking at it with a 'lazy' eye really! Thanks for the suggestion, I will be trying this dish out today.... can't wait to see how it comes out and to eat it obviously!

Oh wow, my mouth is watering looking at this dish. I love turnip but don't eat it very much these days. I will definitely be giving this recipe a try very soon.

Although I don't think the dish needs any meat at all, I do like Chanell's idea of roasting chicken pieces with this meal.

Back
Top Bottom