Recipe Rock buns

Local time
10:16 AM
Rock buns or rock cakes as we call them here, is a popular delicacy in my country. They are very easy to make.

Ingredients:

8 ounces flour
3 ounces butter
4 ounces granulated sugar
4 ounces raisins
1 teaspoon baking
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Method:

Rub butter and sugar together with a fork.
Add beaten egg and essence
Stir in flour, baking powder and raisins
Roll into buns and bake in a moderate oven

One of my favourites Caribbean girl. Since I started baking those as well as scones are my easy peasy things to make and I genuinely love eating them. I have not made any rock cakes recently because of the sugar. When I start to eat them I can't stop.
By the way, I don't roll mine. I dropped them unevenly so they really look like rocks.

By the way, I don't roll mine. I dropped them unevenly so they really look like rocks

Yes, they can be dropped unevenly too. I always like them when they are nice and hard, not like some rock cakes that I have tasted which have a soft texture and do not measure up to the name of 'rock' cakes at all. Scones are also nice since they would be done with a lot less sugar and no raisins.

Yes, they can be dropped unevenly too. I always like them when they are nice and hard, not like some rock cakes that I have tasted which have a soft texture and do not measure up to the name of 'rock' cakes at all. Scones are also nice since they would be done with a lot less sugar and no raisins.

Interestingly enough I do add raisins to my scones but yes to the fact that those rock cakes must be nice and hard like rock. I love them. A girlfriend used to make them every time she had guest and invite me for some. Once I added chocolate chips but I did not love them with the rock cakes. I think cranberries would be nice with them.

Rock buns or rock cakes as we call them here, is a popular delicacy in my country. They are very easy to make.

Ingredients:

8 ounces flour
3 ounces butter
4 ounces granulated sugar
4 ounces raisins
1 teaspoon baking
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Method:

Rub butter and sugar together with a fork.
Add beaten egg and essence
Stir in flour, baking powder and raisins
Roll into buns and bake in a moderate oven
How long do you bake them for? They look like they would be good. I just bought a maple bun topped with bacon. I hope it is worth the calories it no doubt has plenty of! I used to love the cinnamon raisin biscuits Hardee's has, but I have never tried to make them at home.

I have never heard of these before but they sound good!
I will definitely give them a try. I might leave out the raisins
though because even though I love raisins I don't like them
cooked in anything!

The rock cakes generally take about half of hour if so much. It's a quick recipe and if you like a crunchy bread like cake you'll love them. One of the reasons I don't make a lot is because you just keep eating them as though they are snacks.

I have never heard of these before but they sound good!
I will definitely give them a try. I might leave out the raisins
though because even though I love raisins I don't like them
cooked in anything!

Rock cakes are very tasty. I don't think I would want them without the raisins though. This is what they look like. They make a good snack, but because they are sweet, I would not eat too many at one time.

upload_2015-10-30_8-53-34.jpeg

They look really good. I wonder if you could make them with some thing else besides raisins? Like blueberries maybe? Just trying to think of an alternative to raisins.

Back
Top Bottom