Rolled Sandwiches

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
4:51 AM
This one time, I was at an art gallery (I had a friend who was an art curator) which of course had finger goodies passed around... one of which, when I asked I was told, was a rolled sandwich that was basically shredded chicken and some white sauce or condiment rolled in a wrap so that it looked sausage-shaped, and then chopped diagonally in half and flat at the ends so that it looked classy.

Lately, I've been wondering what else would make a good rolled sandwich. Peanut butter, raisins, and/or rolled oats on a rolled tortilla would make a quick breakfast sandwich. Cold-smoked salmon in dill and plain yoghurt and/or avocado puree is one of my favorite combinations.

If I'm starting with something round, then I like to fold in either side first so that it squares the edges and seals it in, and then roll until the end, which can be sealed with a smudge of cornstarch and water.

What other fillings can you think of?

Sounds like any other sandwich so that means let your stomach and imagination run wild. I have all kinds of odd things that I put on a sandwich - when I make them I just go with what suits me and no one else.

Yea I think really anything can go into it. I have had these with chicken salad in them, with lots of veggies and dressing. I think the breakfast sandwich idea would work great. Let's see, you could do egg or tuna salad. You could do just meat and cheese with veggies. There are an endless amount of things you can put in there!

I make these quite often, and will play around with the different flavored tortillas as well, such as spinach, sun dried tomato, and jalapeno cheese, that our grocery store carries.

One of my favorites is to get the really good deli roast beef - I think it's called London Broil, and it still looks rare in the middle. It melts in your mouth, it's so soft. Definitely worth the extra cost. I will make this on either a spinach or plain flour tortilla. Mix some horseradish and mayo together for your spread (go heavy on the horseradish) and spread that on the tortilla, then layer some fresh baby spinach, your london broil, and a soft mild white cheese like Havarti. You can throw some thinly sliced fresh red onions in there too if you like, then roll it all up.

Another favorite would be a veggie wrap, which is simply spreading some guacamole on the tortilla, then topping with some leafy greens such as romaine or spinach, some diced cucumber and tomato, black olives and red onions, some provolone cheese, and if I have them, hot peppers in oil (the kind you can get at the olive bar at your grocery store).

I make pepperoni rolls for my kids. They consist of large slices of pepperoni, piece of ham and slice of mozzarella cheese. They love them.

That does sound good, and I imagine that anything that would make a good as which would also work for rolled ones unless the filling is too chunky or something. One of my favorites has always been pulled pork, so I'd go with that. There are even Chinese versions of this which are steamed rolls with pulled pork barbecue filling, so I'd maybe also look into those.

Back
Top Bottom