Local time
6:54 AM
RotoChick.jpg

Ingredients

Brine

1/2 cup sea salt or kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 gallon warm water

This is a ratio, use more of everything if you need to. The goal is to completely submerge your bird in your brine. Mix it all together, and add ice cubes to cool it off. Submerge your chicken, and put everything in the refrigerator overnight. Then, rinse and dry your chicken.

Seasoning and stuffing

2 lemons
1 large or two small onions
5 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
Kosher salt
Black pepper

Stuff the chicken with sliced lemons, quartered onions, and your thyme and rosemary sprigs. Season the outside of your chicken with salt and pepper.

Tie your chicken with butcher's twine to close the end, and keep the wings and legs tight to the body.

Cooking

You will need a rotisserie of some kind, or it is just a roasted chicken. The rotisserie keeps the chicken rotating, so it stays tender and juicy inside, and gets a nice, even golden-brown skin on the outside. I used a charcoal grill rotisserie, with charcoal and hickory wood.

Cook until the internal temperature of the breast is at least 160F. It will take about an hour for an average size bird cooking in a 350F grill.

When done, remove the string and the lemon, onion and herbs from inside. Carve, serve and enjoy.

CD

Last edited:
I want to get a knife and carve out a chunk and eat is as-is, then continue until I've eaten all of it. Yes, I realize this is a whole chicken, and I will certainly end up in the hospital from eating so much, but I'd say it's worth it.

Oh, and just being picky, but there's one important ingredient that's key to the recipe, but missing from the ingredients list.

That's so delicious looking! I could eat that a couple times a month for sure!

Back
Top Bottom