Royal Reds

CraigC

Guru
Local time
9:01 AM
Got an e-mail from Penn Dutch this morning, good for only today, Royal Red shrimp for $5.99lb. They have never been this low for the extra large ones. I grabbed 4lbs this morning. Might be having steamed shrimp (Maryland style) for dinner. Looks like shrimp and grits will be on the menu soon!

They have a lot of great deals. Branzino for $6.99/pound, and New York Strip for $7.99/pound! And, your shrimp price beats the already good price in the flyer below. I was hoping they shipped, but they don't. You lucky guy!
557255_max.jpg

Yep, they are a great place for proteins especially. They'll even happily cut things to order for you. That's how we get our 2 inch steaks. Their produce is pretty good too, price wise as well. When they get the just caught salmon in, they sell the whole fish for an unbelievably low price and then cut and package it for you. That's 1 deal though we don't take advantage of since neither one of us likes salmon that much.

Last timeI cooked red prawns (in shell) I overcooked them a bit. The problem is, of course, that you can't rely on the usual way of knowing - in other words the fact they turn pink. How do you judge this?

Love shrimp. Wish I had room in the freezer for 4 lbs for a recipe called "On the Beach Shrimp" or "Beach Shrimp" from Southern Living, if I recall. Super easy. From memory, toss the shrimp in a disposable aluminum pan with butter, Italian dressing & lemons & bake. Serve with crusty bread to sop up the juices. Good for a party. You can find it in a Google.

Last edited:
We already had an unopened 2 pound bag in the deep freeze, so now we have 6, but we love shrimp and you can't beat that price.

We judge doneness by touch and curl. They are done when they are in a fairly open C. The tighter curl they get, the more cooked they are.

I'd like some coconut shrimp, haven't had that in ages.

We already had an unopened 2 pound bag in the deep freeze, so now we have 6, but we love shrimp and you can't beat that price.

We judge doneness by touch and curl. They are done when they are in a fairly open C. The tighter curl they get, the more cooked they are.

I'd like some coconut shrimp, haven't had that in ages.

Just now read this, something else in common. lol Shrimp that is, but not coconut.

Back
Top Bottom