Rubs

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
7:58 AM
Rubs, I have known, are combinations of spices and possibly, other ingredients which are applied to meats before cooking.

For those members who make their own rubs, perhaps you'd be willing to discuss your favorite ingredients and your procedure for applying your Rubs.

I have never used a Rub, so claim ignoramiusance.

I make my own rubs. They can be a simple as a Texas Dalmatian rub -- salt and course ground pepper, or a more complex rub for smoking pork.

Traditional Texas brisket uses the salt and pepper rub.

Very common BBQ rub ingredients are salt, pepper, brown sugar, and granulated garlic. If you like more heat, cayenne pepper will do that.

Jamaican Jerk rubs will often have spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and herbs like thyme, sage and rosemary.

I only use rubs for grilling and smoking. If I'm using a wet cooking method, I typically use a marinade, instead.

The sky is the limit when it comes to rubs. I look at rub recipes, and each ingredient, and pick and chose what I like, and don't like so much. They are fun to play around with.

CD

I make my own rubs. They can be a simple as a Texas Dalmatian rub -- salt and course ground pepper, or a more complex rub for smoking pork.

Traditional Texas brisket uses the salt and pepper rub.

Very common BBQ rub ingredients are salt, pepper, brown sugar, and granulated garlic. If you like more heat, cayenne pepper will do that.

Jamaican Jerk rubs will often have spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and herbs like thyme, sage and rosemary.

I only use rubs for grilling and smoking. If I'm using a wet cooking method, I typically use a marinade, instead.

The sky is the limit when it comes to rubs. I look at rub recipes, and each ingredient, and pick and chose what I like, and don't like so much. They are fun to play around with.

CD

Cd i get these from a friend in Texas.

I also get sucklebusters peach for basting, it's absolutely amazing. Do you rate Williams ?
I use on beer can chicken.

Russ

Cd i get these from a friend in Texas.

View attachment 50949

I also get sucklebusters peach for basting, it's absolutely amazing. Do you rate Williams ?
I use on beer can chicken.

Russ

There are easily hundreds of rubs on the market in Texas. I have not come across Williams rubs. Packaged rubs are usually VERY high in salt, so have to stay away from them, and make my own. Even when I wasn't on a salt-restricted diet, I found a lot of the commercial rubs to be too salty.

CD

There are easily hundreds of rubs on the market in Texas. I have not come across Williams rubs. Packaged rubs are usually VERY high in salt, so have to stay away from them, and make my own. Even when I wasn't on a salt-restricted diet, I found a lot of the commercial rubs to be too salty.

CD

I too, would prefer concocting my own Rubs and not buying prepped.

What does rub mean. Does one vigorously rub the spice onto the meat? Or is it enough to just hand coat?

What does rub mean. Does one vigorously rub the spice onto the meat? Or is it enough to just hand coat?

Well, both. You can rub it in, but I cover the meat, and just pat it in. A rub goes on heavier than just seasoning. You are covering the surface of the meat with a layer of spices and herbs. Some people go heavier than I do.

Besides flavor, the rub contributes to the creation of a "bark" on the meat -- a crispy crust.

Ribs002.jpg

Ribs-4-19-001.jpg

Ribs003.jpg

CD

I made my own rubs. I would take the bone out of pork butt and rub inside and out then roll. I got a lot of flavor into the meat and in my opinion it was juicer boned and rolled. I rubbed vigorously then let it set up in the fridge overnight. That method in my opinion gives it the best bark.
1606029628578.png
1606029676975.png
1606029708292.png
1606029738754.png
1606029779662.png
1606029803799.png

I make my rubs from spices. I don't care for all the salt in prepared rubs. I usually only do it if I'm cooking BBQ ribs on the grill or smoker (which I don't do any longer). I tenderize the meat in vinegar for a couple hours, pat dry and add rub mix in well. It's generally...

brown sugar​
cayenne pepper (Optional)​
chili powder​
garlic powder​
ground black pepper​
onion powder​
paprika​
salt​

I made a wet rub for a leg of lamb today. Normally I would stud it with rosemary, garlic and anchovies, but we were out of anchovies, so it was studded with just rosemary and garlic, and a wet rub of olive oil, soy sauce and Marmite was applied.

Picture taken before cooking.

I made a wet rub for a leg of lamb today. Normally I would stud it with rosemary, garlic and anchovies, but we were out of anchovies, so it was studded with just rosemary and garlic, and a wet rub of olive oil, soy sauce and Marmite was applied. View attachment 51029
Picture taken before cooking.

Nice - did you get an 'after' photo?

Back
Top Bottom