Rude chefs and rude customers.

I knew a man who managed an Applebee restaurant. He told me that they cook nothing there. The kitchen is a stack of microwave ovens. The meals are made in a factory, packaged and shipped to the restaurants.

I kinda' assumed that. :(

CD

I knew a man who managed an Applebee restaurant. He told me that they cook nothing there. The kitchen is a stack of microwave ovens. The meals are made in a factory, packaged and shipped to the restaurants. If the quality is not near the top of the food chain, at least it is consistent from location to location, something we can't say about fast food chains.
I believe that's mostly true, but the burgers are cooked there and so are the French fries. Not sure about the rest.

I've mentioned elsewhere I've booked a room for a couple of nights near Brighton so I can see my brother and his family. Chosen primarily because the bikes will be safe left. The reviews were good. 'Were' being the operative part of that statement. The restaurant reviews have taken a recent nose dive, I suspect they have a new chef.
Anyway I started reading the latest review and thought here we go someone with additional needs that couldn't be met making a fuss 🙄
But I read it and thought they sound quite sensible.
What do you think?

THE JOLLY SPORTSMAN, Lewes - Updated 2023 Restaurant Reviews, Menu & Prices - Tripadvisor

Disappointing
- I went for a relaxed family lunch with my children one of whom has Asperger's. I was told 'I must come and try the restaurant'. My daughter who has limited taste asked politely if she could have cheese on her chips - the staff which I have to say were lovely asked the chef for us. We were told the chef says no, as he doesn't have the right cheese.....no one asked us which cheese we liked and a cheese dish was on the menu..... then the lovely waitress said 'you know what chefs are like' . I do, I am an event manager, however this to me is a classic example of when a chef forgets to have humility and look after people and puts himself and his ego first. We didn't ask for anything to be changed just cheese on chips. It makes it hard as a parent when you want to eat somewhere decent and there are limited simple choices available. My skate was ok, it definitely wasn't amazing, it was quite bland and I was disappointed with it for £24. Such a shame Chefs can't just think about the bigger picture sometimes.

The pubs response in protecting it's reputation was very good-

Georgia Pettman, Marketing at The Jolly Sportsman, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago
Dear H9124SPclaires,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience with us on this occasion. We fell well below the standards we set ourselves. We would love to be able to make amends so if you would kindly contact the pub email (hello@thesloopinn.com) we can hopefully atone for this and demonstrate that this was a one off.

The pubs response in protecting it's reputation was very good-
We had a laughably bad experience at a “local legend” restaurant years ago, and I did what I normally don’t do, which was to send an email to the restaurant manager.

I got the same sort of response, “…please come back and let us make this right, here’s my personal invitation, make sure you mention this when making reservations and show the host staff upon arrival…”

I assumed the little card he included would be like a secret code to the staff to really take care of us, that we’d been wronged before, but…

…it was even worse! :laugh:

Maybe six months later, after several years of stellar reviews…they closed for good.

Back
Top Bottom