Safety measures

Takedon

Veteran
Local time
4:36 PM
Do you use them? Do you have any fire alarms or gloves before cooking? Are you that kind of 'cook dangerously; live dangerously' person or would you rather be safe than sorry?

We have an fire extinguisher in the house and have had it since we bought our home. I don't see a need to go all out as a just in case. I like the live and learn motto.

I have a carbon monoxide detector... 15 months ago it went off whilst I was cooking. turned out that the gas cooker was faulty and the rings producing large amounts of carbon monoxide. ironically it was not the detector that triggered my thoughts that something was wrong, it only confirmed what the problem was. my asthma suddenly started playing up and I was looking for the problem when I saw that the carbon monoxide detector was flashing red - not sounding the alarm though. I remember picking it up off the top of the cabinets and bringing it closer to me, that triggered the audible alarm.

I spent the night in A&E and it took months for some of my speech to come back - I could fully understand people, I could think words, I could just not get the words formed in my mouth to say them. Full recovery from that took well over 6 months and I have to say I was lucky....

Otherwise I am a live & learn person... don't worry too much about safety - it is often over done (like the signs along my local converted railway line, that warn there may be rabbit holes!) but when it comes to poisonous gases that you can't smell or see, you do need to be careful!

I used to be a firefighter some I am well prepared for something that might happen in the kitchen. The simplest and most effective way to stop a fire - mainly grease fires - is having several boxes of baking soda handy.

We have an extinguisher in the hallway of the apartments. There is also a sprinkler system in the kitchen and a fire alarm. But I use gloves when I cook with the oven or if the handle gets hot while cooking with the stove. I don't like burning myself. Other than that no, I cook "dangerously". I even cooked bacon with a low cut shirt on one day.

I have a fire alarm and a carbon monoxide detector (not sure if that qualifies for this) but that is all...we also have quite the assortment of pot holders. I never considered a small fire extinguisher but can see how that would be useful. I am careful when I cook but I guess a small fire is one of those things you can't plan for. In terms of personal safety I will sometimes wear long sleeves if I am cooking with a lot of hot oil and I never leave the temperature of a pot or pan handle to chance and use a pot holder every time I touch something in the kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom