Sandwich Fillings

DIna00

Veteran
Local time
6:26 AM
Do you have any ideas for interesting sandwich fillings? Something beyond the regular ham and cheese, or tuna salad?

One that my son loves is pumpernickel bread with a onion/chive flavored cream cheese, any lunch meat and thinly sliced tomato.

Do you have any untraditional sandwich filling ideas?

What about a cucumber sandwich? Thinly sliced cucumber placed on whole wheat bread or your favorite bread. I have heard of a tomato sandwich also.

Hummus with red peppers
Falafel with salad.
One we used to get a lot was Brie or Camembert with red grape which was delicious. The red grape were sliced in half BTW.
Bacon, lettuce and tomato is another that springs to mind.
Cheese and onion
Peanut butter and crisps

What sort of things does he like?

I'm not sure anything mentioned so far would count as 'untraditional'. That's sort of the point of a sandwich, you can have whatever you fancy?

Untraditional would be 'pork pie' or 'a slice of cheesecake' or 'watermelon'

Up here in t'North of England, I gather a meat and potato pie in bread roll is considered a good lunch...

Up here in t'North of England, I gather a meat and potato pie in bread roll is considered a good lunch...

A good old "Wigan Kebab"! My favourite is chicken and bacon, but that's not really anything out of the ordinary. I usually add some sort of relish or pickle if I want to jazz my samdwiches up a bit. Chilli jam and red onion relish are two favourites and go great with boring old cheese.

There always a chip butty...
When I was at school and were allowed out to buy our own lunch, we went to the local bakery where we bought a large unsliced loaf. We ask for the end crust to be cut off and then we'd walk down the road to the chip shop eating the centre out of the loaf.
At the chip shop we'd ask for the hollow loaf to be filled with chips and tomato ketchup, or salt and vinegar, and then eat that, as a chip buttie, on the way back to school. :porky:

Hummus with red peppers
Falafel with salad.
One we used to get a lot was Brie or Camembert with red grape which was delicious. The red grape were sliced in half BTW.
Bacon, lettuce and tomato is another that springs to mind.
Cheese and onion
Peanut butter and crisps

What sort of things does he like?

The brie with grapes sounds excellent! I will try that one for sure! He really is open to anything, the only thing is vegetables have to be thinly sliced and it is hard to get him to eat lettuce. He just has some trouble chewing it for whatever reason, it is strange.

When you say crisps is that the same as American chips?

The brie with grapes sounds excellent! I will try that one for sure! He really is open to anything, the only thing is vegetables have to be thinly sliced and it is hard to get him to eat lettuce. He just has some trouble chewing it for whatever reason, it is strange.

When you say crisps is that the same as American chips?

Yes. Although we also have our chips (fries*) in sandwiches sometimes, a good chip butty** is a wondrous thing.

*well, they're not quite the same thing, but you get the point.

**A butty, in case the word doesn't travel, is generally the term for a really thick satisfying sandwich, possibly in a bread bun, usually chips, bacon or sausages, or cheese.

A chip butty

download.jpg

Can be served with tomato ketchup or HP brown sauce, though I lever mine with mayonnaise. Should have a good layer of butter on some cheap white bread thickly sliced (a bap/bread roll/muffin (not sweet)/stottie or barm cake will also do). Butter should be dripping down your chin as you eat it.

Best thing since sliced bread (and not meant to be healthy...):porky:

A chip butty

View attachment 561

Can be served with tomato ketchup or HP brown sauce, though I lever mine with mayonnaise. Should have a good layer of butter on some cheap white bread thickly sliced (a bap/bread roll/muffin (not sweet)/stottie or barm cake will also do). Butter should be dripping down your chin as you eat it.

Best thing since sliced bread (and not meant to be healthy...):porky:

God damn, I want one now!

We only have oven chips in the house, and that's not the same.

At school, our canteen did chip butties with cheese. Buttered roll, chips and grated cheap catering cheese that melted on the chips. Fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom