Sandwiches around the world

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
4:00 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)

I thought this was pretty neat - it showcased a whole bunch of global sandwiches that could be found in Los Angeles!

Have you had any of these sandwich types? Is there any that took your fancy a little? I thought the Mexican one looked pretty delish - and it seems like the lady in the video did too!

My favourite has to be a chip butty! But this was NOT an authentic chip butty as the one shown seemed to have toasted bread!:eek: A chip butty should always be on soft white untoasted bread.

we had a proper fish finger butty last week prime cod ,good roll,roquette tartare sauce and lemon sat in the sun watching the world go by ,not on the list...............
how about croques from France ,come on we need to add to the list

we had a proper fish finger butty last week prime cod ,good roll,roquette tartare sauce and lemon sat in the sun watching the world go by ,not on the list...............
how about croques from France ,come on we need to add to the list

Fish finger sandwich...delicious! Yeah: croque monsieur and croque madame. Also crisp butties, cheese and pickle (Branston), Marmite.

Or how about this:

Best Fried Rabbit Sandwich With Tarragon Emulsion
Story

Fans of Watership Down and the works of Beatrix Potter may wish to avert their eyes but the truth is rabbit has long been enjoyed by the Brits. In the years of rationing following the Second World War the rearing and eating of domestic rabbits was widespread and the gamey, slightly sweet meat has been turned into a tasting menu sandwich by the prodigious Tom Sellars, head chef at this new East London eaterie. “As a kid I loved a fish finger sandwich,” Sellars explains. “I wanted to make something with a nod to this, so I braise the legs in stock with vegetables and star anise, pull and press the meat and then breadcrumb the fingers. At Story, we top it with a tarragon emulsion, discs of carrot lightly pickled in bergamot and a leaf of fresh tarragon.”

restaurantstory.co.uk

Do you think she really loved any of them? I have to say I am very simple when it comes to sandwiches so the ham, cheese and eggs would have been enough for me. The one she told to come to her the name of which I can't remember seemed okay as well, still I don't like fighting with food and many looked like they would fight me to eat them.

Do you think she really loved any of them? I have to say I am very simple when it comes to sandwiches so the ham, cheese and eggs would have been enough for me. The one she told to come to her the name of which I can't remember seemed okay as well, still I don't like fighting with food and many looked like they would fight me to eat them.
I don't think she actually ate any of them! Just a bite from each for camera. Most of them look far to much for me. I just don't like tons of meaty stuff and mayo all piled up. A simple chip butty (NOT toasted!) or a neat little cucumber sandwich suits me better.

I liked the mexican offering - lunch in a bun ! I agree about the chip butty - however a strange impression of the real thing BUT the true chip is not really a 'french fry' - it is much fatter and doesn't look as thought it has been extruded from a drinking straw as so many do. Oddly I still love the old jam / bread [jelly in the US I think] and even jam/cheese sandwich

The rabbits, which they introduced, were a Spanish variety that would not have survived for long in the wild as the British winters were too cold.

The same article says the Roman's introduced: garlic, onions, shallots, leeks, cabbages, peas, celery, turnips, radishes, and asparagus, rosemary, thyme, bay, basil and savoury mint,
walnuts and sweet chestnuts, apples (as opposed to crab apples), grapes, mulberries and cherries.

Article written by Nigel Cross with editorial assistance from Andrew Dalby, co-author of 'The Classical Cookbook'. Thanks also to Pertinax and other members of the UNRV Forum for their contribution.

© resourcesforhistory 2006

I think I would like to try the cemita. I like the fact that it is big which looks like more of a meal to me. My gourmand friends would definitely love it too basing it on the size of the sandwich alone. I had tried banh mi too but I find them too ordinary for my taste.

In Budapest a couple of years back, I was after a cup of coffee and a bite to eat. They had cheese sandwiches, so after a quick consultation of the phrasebook, I ordered a "sajt sandwich". What I need to point out here is that "sajt" is pronounced "shoot". Cue infantile giggling from the Duck Holiday tourists...

Back
Top Bottom