Recipe Sausage and peppers with polenta

AgileMJOLNIR

Local time
3:13 PM
I decided to go with a simple sheet pan meal this week, something I haven’t really done in awhile. Instead of the traditional mashed potato side (at least for me) I went with a creamy polenta with some fresh pan roasted corn mixed in. Heart but not heavy I’m liking this one. Also feel free to use whatever sausages you like but I do prefer the spicy/sweet aspect of this dish but enjoy it anyway you want:)

C94B9CF3-CB03-4CAD-9378-B39824A4602A.jpeg

For the Polenta

Ingredients​

3 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic (2 cloves)
3/4 cup fine cornmeal, such as Indian Head
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 Tbsp. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
3 cups fresh corn kernels cut off the cobs (4 large ears)
1/2 cup freshly grated Italian Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp. creme fraiche

Method​

Combine chicken stock, half a cup of water, and the garlic in a large saucepan and bring to a full boil over high heat.

Slowly add the cornmeal while whisking constantly to ensure there are no lumps. Switch to a wooden spoon, add one and a half teaspoons salt and one teaspoon pepper, and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring often, until the polenta is thick but still creamy. (The timing will depend on the cornmeal that you choose.) Be sure to scrape the bottom of the pan with the wooden spoon so the bottom doesn't burn.

Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large (12-inch) sauté pan over medium heat. Add the corn and cook for five to eight minutes, depending on the starchiness of the corn, until the corn is cooked through and starting to brown around the edge of the pan.

Off the heat, stir the corn, Parmesan, and creme fraiche into the polenta. Taste for seasonings and serve hot.
This recipe can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to a few days. Spoon into a saucepan with extra chicken stock or water and reheat over low heat until creamy and hot.

For the sausages

Ingredients​

2 large yellow onions- 1/2 inch strips
2 large red bell peppers- 1/2 inch strips
2 large orange bell peppers- 1/2 inch strips
2 large poblano- 1/4 inch strips
1 medium fennel bulb- halved, cored and sliced crosswise ¼ inch thick
2 tbsp fresh minced garlic
1 tsp dried oregano
salt and freshly ground black pepper (Diamond brand kosher salt recommended)
Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 lb sweet Italian sausage links
1 lb hot Italian sausage links
1 pint red cherry tomatoes
1/3 cup dry white wine such as Pinot Grigio
½ cup julienned fresh basil leaves
freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving

INSTRUCTIONS​

Arrange racks evenly spaced in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Toss together the onions, peppers, fennel, garlic, oregano, 1 tbsp kosher salt and 1 ½ tsp fresh black pepper & ¼ cup olive oil. Spread evenly in a single layers between 2 large sheet pans. Don’t crowd everything in a smaller pan or the vegetables won’t brown.

Separately, on a 3rd sheet pan or baking dish, toss the sausages with 2 tbsp olive oil and spread them out in one layer. Roast the vegetables & the sausages for 20 minutes. (If you do not have 3 sheet pans, use a roasting pan for one set of vegetables or the sausage, or, simply roast the vegetables first, then the sausages next, and then continue on with the recipe.)

Toss the vegetables to combine to a large roasting pan and place the the sausages top of the vegetable mixture.
Add the tomatoes. Pour in the wine and roast for another 25 to 30 minutes, turning the sausages to brown evenly. (If the tomatoes are small, wait 10 minutes to add them.)

Off the heat, sprinkle on the basil, toss well, taste for seasonings and serve hot with grated Parmesan on the side.

Recipe courtesy of Ina Garten

Back
Top Bottom