Sausage rolls, down under thing?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:34 AM
I made two batches yesterday for a function later in the week. Pastry filled with beef sausage meat with chopped onions , big Worcester and tomato sauce, and parsley. Frozen now until needed. I know ozzy have these as well but I never saw in on my travels around the world. This made 50. Great finger food for functions.

Russ

Yes, we have sausage rolls in the US. You won't find them everywhere, but they're easy enough to find here if you know where to look.

I made two batches yesterday for a function later in the week. Pastry filled with beef sausage meat with chopped onions , big Worcester and tomato sauce, and parsley. Frozen now until needed. I know ozzy have these as well but I never saw in on my travels around the world. This made 50. Great finger food for functions.

Russ

View attachment 34532
Nom!

Sausage rolls are found all over the place here in donut shops and kolache shops. They are usually labelled as kolaches, most of the time. Almost ever donut shop will have them with regular or jalepeño sausage, and often with the option of cheese.

There is a kolache shop near me (actually, one of my customers), that offers meat rolls with smoked brisket, smoked pulled pork, and even venison sausage. Their authentic Czech kolaches are excellent, too.

CD

Yeah, all the sausage rolls here in the US are mainly pork.
There is a kolache shop near me (actually, one of my customers), that offers meat rolls with smoked brisket, smoked pulled pork, and even venison sausage. Their authentic Czech kolaches are excellent, too.

CD

I noticed in another thread that medtran49 referred to sausages in croissant pastry as 'pigs in blankets' - is that another term for what we Brits call sausage rolls - i.e. sausages (usually pork) encased in puff pastry?

To add to the confusion 'pigs in blankets' in the UK refers to sausages wrapped in bacon.

I noticed in another thread that medtran49 referred to sausages in croissant pastry as 'pigs in blankets' - is that another term for what we Brits call sausage rolls - i.e. sausages (usually pork) encased in puff pastry?

To add to the confusion 'pigs in blankets' in the UK refers to sausages wrapped in bacon.

This is probably what most Americans think of as "pigs in blankets:"

Pillsbury crescent roll dough is canned, and it's meant to look like little croissants, but it tastes more like slightly flaky bread rolls, so it's nowhere near puff pastry or a traditional sausage roll.

Pigs in blankets are hot dogs wrapped in any kind of pastry or biscuit dough. I don't know if crescent roll dough is the most common or not, as I've seen flattened biscuit dough, pie crust dough, puff pastry, etc. used.

Pig in a Blanket is kind of vague in the US. Most Mercans probably use that name for what TastyReuben showed. medtran49 listed a few others. And, some people call a sausage or hot dog rolled in a pancake a Pig in a Blanket. That's what they were when I was a young boy, at least in my family.

BTW, those little bite size Pigs in a Blanket with the Pillsbury crescent roll dough are at virtually EVERY holiday party here, and are addictive -- especially once the booze is flowing.

CD

"Pigs in blankets" here would be pork sausage wrapped in bacon. AFAIK the name came from UK.

Referring to the OP, I did try making pork sausage rolls some time ago which was not a particular success.

Since then I've bought them premade; just need heating up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom