Recipe Savory Korean Pancakes (Vegetarian)

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
6:18 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
korean-serve-2-w.jpg

Prep Time: 15 minutes.
Cook Time: 12-15 minutes.
Rest Time: None.
Serves: 2 (with one large pancake)
Cuisine: Korean
Leftovers: Uncertain regards the pancake. Dipping sauce can be refrigerated.

Savory Korean Pancakes
  • 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 4 tablespoons low-sodium tamari
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 3 ounces / 85 grams pastry flour
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 egg
  • 2 scallions / green onions
  • 1 small carrot about 1.5 oz / 42 grams
  • 1 baby bok choy about 2 oz / 60 grams
  • 2 tablespoons avocado oil
Dipping Sauce:

Crush sesame sees with the pepper flakes in a mortar. Keep coarse, don’t grind.

Mix this in a small bowl with 3 tablespoons of that tamari, the maple syrup, and one tablespoon water. Let remain at room temp while you carry on.

Pancake:

Separately, mix flour and 125 mL / ½ cup water. Add the salt, and stir until everything is just combined. Don’t over mix.

Beat the egg and stir into the flour mix. Allow to rest for ten minutes.

While that’s resting prep the scallions: cut in half lengthwise, and into approximately 3 cm / 1 inch segments. Cut the peeled carrot into thin julienned strips.

Take the bok choy and cut that into thin strips as well.

In your skillet, heat up the oil to a medium high heat, and cook the veggies until light brown – you will need to stir frequently. This will take three or four minutes.

Deglaze this with the rest of the tamari, and try to spread the veggies around the skillet as well as possible.

Pour the batter over the veggies, and allow to cook until lightly brown on bottom, around five minutes. This batter will not provide indicative bubbles as with many other pancakes.

Flip the pancake over (this is more easily said than done – a really large spatula would help) and allow to cook another two or three minutes.

Serve, using the dipping sauce for either dipping, or spooning a bit out and over your own share of the pancake.

Note: This recipe draws much of what I did here from Eat Smarter's Savory Korean Pancake recipe. I left out the prawns/shrimp since I wanted this to be vegetarian, and I put in weights for the bok choy, and made a couple other minor changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 31653

Prep Time: 15 minutes.
Cook Time: 12-15 minutes.
Rest Time: None.
Serves: 2 (with one large pancake)
Cuisine: Korean
Leftovers: Uncertain regards the pancake. Dipping sauce can be refrigerated.

Savory Korean Pancakes

• 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 4 tablespoons low-sodium tamari
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 3 ounces / 85 grams pastry flour
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 egg
  • 2 scallions / green onions
  • 1 small carrot about 1.5 oz / 42 grams
  • 1 baby bok choy about 2 oz / 60 grams
  • 2 tablespoons avocado oil
Dipping Sauce:

Crush sesame sees with the pepper flakes in a mortar. Keep coarse, don’t grind.

Mix this in a small bowl with 3 tablespoons of that tamari, the maple syrup, and one tablespoon water. Let remain at room temp while you carry on.

Pancake:

Separately, mix flour and 125 mL / ½ cup water. Add the salt, and stir until everything is just combined. Don’t over mix.

Beat the egg and stir into the flour mix. Allow to rest for ten minutes.

While that’s resting prep the scallions: cut in half lengthwise, and into approximately 3 cm / 1 inch segments. Cut the peeled carrot into thin julienned strips.

Take the bok choy and cut that into thin strips as well.

In your skillet, heat up the oil to a medium high heat, and cook the veggies until light brown – you will need to stir frequently. This will take three or four minutes.

Deglaze this with the rest of the tamari, and try to spread the veggies around the skillet as well as possible.

Pour the batter over the veggies, and allow to cook until lightly brown on bottom, around five minutes. This batter will not provide indicative bubbles as with many other pancakes.

Flip the pancake over (this is more easily said than done – a really large spatula would help) and allow to cook another two or three minutes.

Serve, using the dipping sauce for either dipping, or spooning a bit out and over your own share of the pancake.

Note: This recipe draws much of what I did here from Eat Smarter's Savory Korean Pancake recipe. I left out the prawns/shrimp since I wanted this to be vegetarian, and I put in weights for the bok choy, and made a couple other minor changes.

Sounds delish. And also very like okinomaki sp (Japanese pancake)

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the asymmetrical look of the pancake. Delicious ingredients too.

I note it contains honey so can also enter this for the current Cookingbites Recipe Challenge! If you want to just tag it Cookingbites Recipe Challenge and place a link to the recipe in The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Honey thread.

Cool. I'll do so Monday, I'm only here today on the fly...

Back
Top Bottom