Sayings: logical/illogical/translated

"As glittery as sh*ttery"

I think this is just peculiar to the south west farming community, a version of all that glitters is not gold.
Dairy herds tend to eat high protein feeds (well for cows at any rate) that leads to the cow pats everyone's familiar with.
Fresh in the sun they shine but they're still sh*t :happy:

Hold your horses where I grew up, actually not really that far from TR, but I never heard hold your taters before.

Heard a new one to me last night. A local sportscaster about 1 of our local sports teams, we have 5 national professional teams, hockey, basketball, baseball, football, and soccer. He said "hotter than oil for a fish fry."

Don't think anybody has mentioned "the grass is always greener on the other side." Meaning is pretty obvious, but just in case, it means things always look better when you are looking at them from some distance.

Break a leg does have a stage connotation. It's believed if someone wishes you good luck in the theater before going on stage, you will have a bad show, so they wish the opposite, AKA break a leg, from what I've always understood.
I heard it had something to do with John Wilkes Booth breaking his leg jumping on stage after shooting President Lincoln. So wishing bad luck gets you the opposite.

One that’s kind of funny around here because it’s been bastardized a bit:

If it’s windy, the saying used to be, “Lord, it’s awful airish out today” - but for some reason, it’s changed into “Lord, it’s awful Irish today,” even to the point that people will explain it away as, “Well, it’s prob’ly awful windy in Ireland, y’know…”

“He looks like he spit her out!” - meaning that two people look very much alike, and usually said in reference to a parent and child: “Have you seen Donnie and that boy of his? Lord, he looks like he spit him out!”

“He looks like he spit her out!” - meaning that two people look very much alike, and usually said in reference to a parent and child: “Have you seen Donnie and that boy of his? Lord, he looks like he spit him out!”
I just envision masticated and regurgitated food when I read that.

Kick the bucket
Pop your clogs
Shuffled off
Brown bread
Snuffed it
Six feet under

I typed they all mean popped your clogs 😆 That's how ingrained they are 😁

With the exception of 'brown bread' which is one my Pa uses most I use all of those euphemisms.
I know #1 and #6. Never heard the others. TR only lives a few hours from me and I've never heard those either.

Edit: I had heard the one about the stick up the azz but not the others

Last edited:
How about happier than a pig in deep 💩 .

Pigs wallow in mud, that includes  that to keep cool and keep insects off.
You know what's funny about that is pooh attracts insects...

Back
Top Bottom