Scaling recipes, ugh!

I am horrible with scaling recipes, I was never good at fractions beyond the basics, LOL. I am trying to scale back a recipe for cupcakes. The recipe makes 16 cupcakes and I only want 4. I know I can just divide by 4, but there is one thing that is giving me fits--the amount of cake flour the recipe calls for is 3 and 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons. I know that is 13/4 divided by 4 (plus the additional amount). So that is 3.25/4 cups (plus the additional 1/2 TBSP). But I find this a bit confusing, LOL. I have the other ingredients scaled (except the fruit amounts, too). Anyone have any idea on how I should go about this?

Triple Berry Cupcakes
  • 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, very soft
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 4 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 cup full-fat sour cream
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 3 and 1/4 cups PLUS 2 tablespoons cake flour, divided
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup fresh blueberries
  • 2/3 cup fresh blackberries
  • 2/3 cup fresh raspberries

I love the word " stick" of butter. We sell it in pounds of butter but now its 500gms. I know to convert your recipes
4 sticks = 1 pound.
I also love the word muricans use that we dont down here " clutter" we watch tv program called hoarders. Murican program although I know its world wide. We use the word clutter here a lot now. Lmao.

Russ

For me buttercreams silky texture contrasting with the cake part is it's charm. Personally I would mix the berries into the batter for the cupcakes.
I guess you didn't read my OP? There are berries in the batter, I posted the batter ingredients in my OP. I also posted a link in my OP, which has the recipe for the buttercream frosting (with pureed berries), which I did not need help with so I didn't copy/paste it, just the batter recipe. Then there are whole fresh berries for garnish.

Edited to add that I cooked down the berries for the puree, ran it through my food processor, took a taste, and decided to strain out the seeds after all. And that berry puree buttercream frosting is fantastic! It's a bit sweet for my liking. I will wait to compile them until tomorrow afternoon. Right now the frosting is covered and in the frig. I may add a little heavy cream to it tomorrow and whip it up higher and tone down the sweetness.

Ok, yeah I wouldn't do both but that just me.
Well, I make a very similar berry muffin with no frosting, this was supposed to be a special triple berry cupcake. The cupcakes taste like muffins to me, nothing so very special. But that buttercream frosting is amazing, and that's what takes it to another level. And then fresh berries on top, yum. FIL and MIL both have quite the sweet tooth.

I love the word " stick" of butter. We sell it in pounds of butter but now its 500gms. I know to convert your recipes
4 sticks = 1 pound.
I also love the word muricans use that we dont down here " clutter" we watch tv program called hoarders. Murican program although I know its world wide. We use the word clutter here a lot now. Lmao.

Russ
Our sticks of butter are 1/4 pound each, 4 sticks to a pound, yes. And each stick has markers on it for tablespoons.

Are you cluttering up this thread lolololol

This is what hers looks like:
1652311431946.png

Ok, yeah I wouldn't do both but that just me.
What do you think about adding some heavy cream to it to lighten it up? Now that I have already made the buttercream frosting, will the cream blend in okay in your opinion? It's just a bit too sweet for me.

What do you think about adding some heavy cream to it to lighten it up? Now that I have already made the buttercream frosting, will the cream blend in okay in your opinion? It's just a bit too sweet for me.
Unfortunately no not after the buttercream is made, it just won't blend properly. Adding cream while making buttercream is perfectly acceptable and it not only makes it less sweet it lightens as well.

Personally, having berries in the batter and in the buttercream along with added berries would imo be too one dimensional. I would prefer to add a liquor or other flavor to complement the berries, and maybe a herb in the batter as well.

Unfortunately no not after the buttercream is made, it just won't blend properly. Adding cream while making buttercream is perfectly acceptable and it not only makes it less sweet it lightens as well.

Personally, having berries in the batter and in the buttercream along with added berries would imo be too one dimensional. I would prefer to add a liquor or other flavor to complement the berries, and maybe a herb in the batter as well.
Gotcha. Well I cooked them already and the frosting is made, any ideas on how I can mellow out the frosting? What if I were to whip up the cream separately (with no sugar) and then fold it into the frosting?

Gotcha. Well I cooked them already and the frosting is made, any ideas on how I can mellow out the frosting? What if I were to whip up the cream separately (with no sugar) and then fold it into the frosting?
You've not frosted the cupcakes yet? I think that's what your saying. If so then put the buttercream back into the mixer and add cream and continue to mix, with no sugar. 18% would work better but 35% is fine. Normally you add the cream throughout the processing for the buttercream but you can try doing it this way. Start with only adding a small amount, a couple of tbsps and continue to do that, I have a feeling there will come a point that the buttercream will not hold up but you never know.

You've not frosted the cupcakes yet? I think that's what your saying. If so then put the buttercream back into the mixer and add cream and continue to mix, with no sugar. 18% would work better but 35% is fine. Normally you add the cream throughout the processing for the buttercream but you can try doing it this way. Start with only adding a small amount, a couple of tbsps and continue to do that, I have a feeling there will come a point that the buttercream will not hold up but you never know.
Right, I didn't frost them as I wanted to wait until tomorrow late afternoon (serving them tomorrow evening) before doing so. If it doesn't work, ah well, I am serving a Black Angus beef prime rib and loaded twice baked potatoes with salad, so it's going to be a fat happy meal even if the dessert doesn't work out as expected. And I have time, which is why I wanted to get a head start on it today. I am not a baker in general. I have gotten really good with baking bread since the beginning of the pandemic, but I don't really have much of a sweet tooth so I generally don't bake cakes and such (except from box mixes, lolololol).

I really appreciate your help, thank you!

OOH, I wonder if I could soak something into the cupcakes? Like if I were to peel them out of their papers and then drizzle some sort of boozy libation to soak in just before I frost them? Hmmmm. I still have lots of time to work on this.

Back
Top Bottom