Scotland's finest delicacy - haggis

cefmac

Veteran
Local time
4:15 AM
I'm from Scotland and over here we eat rather a lot of haggis, mainly to celebrate Burns Night and St Andrew's Day, but it can also be found in pretty much any takeaway. It's one of those traditions that has never really fallen out of style. I personally love haggis. I don't like to think about the components of it too much (mmm, sheep organs, appetising!), but if you can get over that and taste it, it's lovely.

Have you tried haggis?

I love haggis, and the first time I ever tried it was in a J. D. Wetherspoon's the day after Burns Night. It was served with the traditional 'neeps and tatties,' and although I'm not usually keen on offal, I really enjoyed it. We have it every now and again. I even bought a vegetarian version by mistake onece, and thoroughly enjoyed it - although I suppose that would be a hanging offence in Scotland!

I like haggis but don't have it very often.

I always think it a bit odd that some people make a big thing about what goes into haggis. Especially as those people will often happily eat sausages, meat pies or supermarket burgers.:roflmao:

I personally haven't tried haggis, as I'm vegetarian but my step dad tried it while in Scotland and told me that he was surprised at how tasty it was. :)

I love haggis, and the first time I ever tried it was in a J. D. Wetherspoon's the day after Burns Night. It was served with the traditional 'neeps and tatties,' and although I'm not usually keen on offal, I really enjoyed it. We have it every now and again. I even bought a vegetarian version by mistake onece, and thoroughly enjoyed it - although I suppose that would be a hanging offence in Scotland!

Not so much a hanging offence, but like you I'd probably only eat it is it was bought as a mistake - given the option of the real version, I'd choose that every time. Having it with neeps and tatties is the best way to eat it, I agree. When I was a kid, I formed a habit of mashing it all up into one big mass, sort of like a haggis pie, and I'm not going to lie, I still eat it that way sometimes...I like getting all the flavours together!

Is haggis a good hangover cure? I've never tried it before but I have been experimenting more with offal lately. Korean blood sausages (or "soon-dae") have been a recent, tasty discovery for me. Maybe I'll give haggis a try sometime.

Never tried it as a hangover cure so can't comment. If you like those blood sausages I don't see why you wouldn't like haggis.:thumbsup:

Should have mentioned this before: I must take issue with the title of the thread. I don't think haggis is Scotland's finest delicacy as there is Cranachan to take into account.:hungry:

Back
Top Bottom