Recipe Scrambled Tofu with Mushrooms & Onions

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
2:54 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Scrambled Tofu with Mushrooms & Onions

I've just done one of my 'family' famous bung it recipes and been asked to write it down quickly because it was really good. So here it is! (It didn't last long enough to get a photo of, but should have a rich red colour to it because of the paprika.)

Serves 2 as a main meal, 4 as a side with something else.

Ingredients
2 tbsp. Olive oil
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1/4 tsp Ajwan Seeds (optional)
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
8oz of mushrooms cut into quarters, 6ths or 8ths depending on size.
1 onion finely chopped
1 tbsp. Noble or Sweet Paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground coriander
1 packet of silk tofu (firm or soft will do but must be silken tofu)
3 cloves of garlic crushed
1 tbsp. Tamari sauce (or any other soy sauce)

Method
heat the oil until hot, then add asafoetida, ajwan seeds & black mustard seeds and leave until the mustard seeds start to pop. Add the mushrooms (keep the heat high) and cook until they start to brown slightly. Now add the onions. (I know this sounds backwards but it gets the mushrooms cooked enough without the onions burning on the high heat!)
Once the onions start to turn translucent, add the paprika, cumin & coriander and stir well. Cook for another few minutes and then add the silken tofu straight from the packet with any liquid that may be found in there. Roughly break up the tofu and cook, stirring well at intervals. You will find that the tofu will break up into much smaller chunks so don't worry too much about it. Continue to cook over a high heat for about 5 minutes (this is a roughly thing, it does not need to be precise).
Towards the end of the cooking time, add in the crushed garlic and cook for another minute or two then add the tamari (soy sauce) and cook until any remaining liquid has boiled off.

Serve hot over toast or with whatever takes your fancy!

This recipe is quite creative. I love tofu, garlic, cumin, paprika and tamari. However, I really dislike coriander and mushrooms. But I think I would be happy just doubling the onion in the recipe, with sweet or red onion. But I would caramelize the onions a lot so they aren't too overpowering.

That sounds really good and something that I will have to try. I am not much of a fan of tofu as a rule but so much that I like is in the recipe its worth a shot.

Back
Top Bottom