Scratched Stainless Steel pots - are these still safe to use?

empleat

Local time
10:30 AM
Hello,

are these pots still safe to use? I don't know if scratches are deep, I can't feel anything upon touch, but some of my stainless steel pots are pretty scratched, as it was cooked improperly there e.g. stirring with spoon. How would I determine, if some unhealthy substances are leeching? There might be some nickel tests perhaps? Although there might be quite many substances that can leech once a pot is damaged! How to determine when pots are not safe for cooking anymore? Not all pots are also scratched that much, so it would hard to tell which might be unsafe and which are still OK...

PS: I dont know if it is possible to tell like this...

That would help me a lot!
Thank you.

IMG_20230218_124023752.jpg IMG_20230218_124038611.jpg IMG_20230218_124108298.jpg IMG_20230218_124113015.jpg IMG_20230218_124134184.jpg

Hello,

are these pots still safe to use? I don't know if scratches are deep, I can't feel anything upon touch, but some of my stainless steel pots are pretty scratched, as it was cooked improperly there e.g. stirring with spoon. How would I determine, if some unhealthy substances are leeching? There might be some nickel tests perhaps? Although there might be quite many substances that can leech once a pot is damaged! How to determine when pots are not safe for cooking anymore? Not all pots are also scratched that much, so it would hard to tell which might be unsafe and which are still OK...

Thank you.

View attachment 96860 View attachment 96861 View attachment 96862 View attachment 96863 View attachment 96864
You're fine, don't worry. Scratched stainless steel is safe.

I'm a cancer survivor, and my I asked my Oncologist what might have caused my cancer, and he said there are thousand of things that CAN increase the risk of cancer, and sometimes, cancer just happens without an external cause. The type of cancer I had often just happens.

Obviously, we shouldn't swim in polluted water, but we should worry that everything that causes cancer in some lab rats is going to kill us.

I certainly wouldn't worry about what appears to be natural wear on those stainless steel pans.

CD

Given that stainless steel should only be iron and carbon, I fail to see what could be leeching from the scratches. Iron and carbon are all that should be in the stainless steel. Carbon isn't going to cause issues and iron would be visible as rust plus minute quantities are actually needed by the body anyhow.

Given that stainless steel should only be iron and carbon, I fail to see what could be leeching from the scratches. Iron and carbon are all that should be in the stainless steel. Carbon isn't going to cause issues and iron would be visible as rust plus minute quantities are actually needed by the body anyhow.
Stainless has chromium as well. But it's an exceptionally inert alloy, so the only real danger is mechanical (i.e., getting bonked on the head, Maggie & Jiggs style).

Hello,

Thank you.

View attachment 96860 View attachment 96861 View attachment 96862 View attachment 96863 View attachment 96864
Sure they are safe to use! It might be a little bit more elbow grease to clean the cookware, but you should be alright!! But I wouldn't throw it away though!!:whistling:

Back
Top Bottom