Screw-cap or cork?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:58 AM
Whether you’re a casual wine drinker or you consider yourself more of a connoisseur, chances are you have your opinions about screw-cap bottles. There is a stigma associated with wines carrying screw caps, or twist-off tops, probably because they were originally used to seal wines on the less expensive end of the spectrum. However, according to certified sommelier, author and founder of Wine for Normal People, Elizabeth Schneider, screw caps do not indicate a bottle of wine is of lesser value any longer — and they actually keep wine from spoiling much better than a cork.

What do you think? Do you prefer wine with a cork or is a screw cap fine?

Read more here: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...ommelier-red-white-taste-bottle-a8928031.html

Either is fine as apparently there is a shortage of the cork material or at least there was when the screw on caps or the "manufactured" cork material started to be used more. However, I do have to say I would probably be a bit taken aback if a more expensive wine, say $50 or more per bottle, came with a screw on cap.

Either is fine as apparently there is a shortage of the cork material or at least there was when the screw on caps or the "manufactured" cork material started to be used more. However, I do have to say I would probably be a bit taken aback if a more expensive wine, say $50 or more per bottle, came with a screw on cap.
I agree @medtran49 . After years of being a "wine snob" I am somewhat put-off by a bottle with screw cap. However, like you indicated, there really isn't any difference.

In a world where we can buy wine by the box or even the single-serve can, I don't sweat over cork versus screwtop. :)

Screw-top. But not plastic corks: I get the impression that a plastic cork affects the flavour.

Having said that, I swear to Catnip that I have to use something stronger than a nutcracker to get a screw-top off... :meh:

Back
Top Bottom