Sea Salt vs Rock Salt vs Iodized Salt

Athenagdlyt

Veteran
Local time
2:33 PM
When the recipe calls for salt, I use whatever is available in the kitchen. Usually we have sea salt. I'm curious as to what type of salt you mainly use for cooking. Is there any noticeable difference between sea salt, rock salt, and iodized granulated salt in terms of flavor quality?

I tend to prefer to use Atlantic grey sea salt which has had the other 'salts' left in it, so includes potassium, magnesium as well as sodium chloride in it - but I don't add salt to my cooking, it gets added afterwards, at the end as seasoning, nothing more because I don't like the taste of salt. However, and this is a bit of an issue, it is useless in the salt seller because it is still wet, so I have to have a normal 'dry' sea salt for the salt seller.

The ones I avoid are Himalayan rock salt (I'm vegan and the red colour comes from crustaceans*) and refined salt. Ironically I live in an area of the UK known for its salt - Cheshire, but that is mostly in the form of grit for the roads and is mined extensively in this area.

*which mean that the Himalayan rock salt is not even vegetarian let alone vegan!

Last edited:
I only use sea salt when I cook. I have no thyroid which means that I have no need for iodine; sea salt is better for you anyway.

Before we use iodized salt when we are cooking. But when we learned that it is best to use sea salt than iodized salt or rock salt this is now what we are using and always being stored in our kitchen together with our other condiments.

Iodine is present in any number of foods so its not necessary to use iodized salt. Your thyroid is the only part of your body that uses it and you can get more than enough from seafood and processed food.

The ones I avoid are Himalayan rock salt (I'm vegan and the red colour comes from crustaceans*) and refined salt. *which mean that the Himalayan rock salt is not even vegetarian let alone vegan!

Just great. I didn't know that! I use rock salt in a grinder. I don't like regular table salt, it's just too salty for my taste. I have tried Himalayan rock salt in a grinder, but my grinder broke and I couldn't use the salt. I never brought it again.

I have 3 different types of salt in my kitchen that I use for different things. I have sea salt in a grinder that I use when I don't need a really salty taste, rather a hint. I use kosher salt when I want a more definate salt. If I don't use salt in the meal I keep iodized salt on the table and will sprinkle it on my food.

I rarely use salt in my cooking. However, I have the regular table salt and a grinder with sea salt crystals. I would like to thing I could taste the difference. However, in an experiment on a TV show in the UK, they found that when people were blindfolded they could not tell the difference. They also found that there were no differences in the properties/ nutrition/ chemicals to make any difference to the flavor of food. I found this interesting as some companies use the different types of salt to make themselves sound better or more upmarket. For example, a regular packet of crisps/ chips might be salt and vinegar, whereas as a 'posh' packet of crisps is sea salt and balsamic vinegar, or rock salt and cracked black pepper.

I use Iodized salt because that is what my husband likes. When I cook for my father, I use sea salt because his doctor told him that it is a lot healthier for him because he has high cholesterol. I do not know how true that is but I actually like both types of salt.

When the recipe calls for salt, I use whatever is available in the kitchen. Usually we have sea salt. I'm curious as to what type of salt you mainly use for cooking. Is there any noticeable difference between sea salt, rock salt, and iodized granulated salt in terms of flavor quality?
Have you ever tried Black lava salt? I love it, it has a different taste but you don't need as much of it. It's healthier than the other salts. http://www.sfsalt.com/hawaiian-sea-...Bq8dH-ws0drAjWsx9YpsPgWf0nElsvnUuchoCujLw_wcB

Back
Top Bottom