Searching for mac and cheese recipe

mjd

Veteran
Local time
5:42 AM
Hi everyone:

Do you know how to make macaroni and cheese with eggs, butter and chunks of various cheeses mixed in with the cooked elbow macaroni. It is baked in a preheated oven. My mother made it when we were growing up. I've had it one time since then but couldn't ask the cook for the recipe.

I have been searching online, library cookbooks and asking around; all to no avail. My maternal grandparents were from the South (USA) - I believe Missouri or Kansas somewhere but I'm not sure that's where the recipe hailed.

I'm hoping someone can point me to the right search term or has some idea of where I should start.

Thanks in advance!

Do you know how to make macaroni and cheese with eggs, butter and chunks of various cheeses mixed in with the cooked elbow macaroni.

I've never heard of eggs being mixed in - are they hard-boiled and cut in chunks?

Or maybe they are used to thicken the sauce?

Yes, medtran49 is correct. They are raw eggs. Now that I'm thinking of it, maybe she added milk too.

I make mac and cheese with a roux to make a cheese sauce. I put mine in a Crock-pot which leaves the cheese ooey-gooey. The baked one is more firm like you'd expect in a casserole.

Google "macaroni and cheese made with eggs" without the " marks. There are several recipes from reliable sources on the first page alone.

Yes, medtran49 is correct. They are raw eggs. Now that I'm thinking of it, maybe she added milk too.

I make mac and cheese with a roux to make a cheese sauce. I put mine in a Crock-pot which leaves the cheese ooey-gooey. The baked one is more firm like you'd expect in a casserole.

Yes - evaporated milk seems to be used quite often as well. Let us know how it goes.

I've been know to use evap milk for mashed potatoes, gives it a different, but very nice flavor. Learned that trick from Paul Prudhomme.

Back
Top Bottom