Seasoning/Spice Mix

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
8:50 AM
Do you use commercial spice/seasoninig mix or do you make your own?
If you make your own please share you recipes.
:woot:

I generally make my own, but nothing too elaborate. I’ll make my own taco seasoning, garlic salt, lemon pepper seasoning, seasoned salt, and I mixed paprika with cumin for a cheat version of smoked paprika, dry rubs for meat, things like that.

I don’t have any recipes as such; I just go look something up online when I want it and find one that looks good.

I do the same thing. What are your faves?
I don’t really have any favorites. The next time I make tacos, for example, I’ll just Google “diy taco seasoning mix” and start clicking, until I see one that has all the stuff I have on hand. It may or may not be the one I used last time. 🤷🏻

Do you use commercial spice/seasoninig mix or do you make your own?

It maybe depends what you mean by 'seasoning/spice mix'. I don't often use rubs or seasoning mixes on meat - I rarely cook meat and the meat I do cook is not usually 'stand alone' as in a steak or fried chicken (in fact I've never made or eaten the latter). I frequently add spices to sauces of all kinds and in curries etc. Usually I'm making the 'spice mix' for curry when I make the curry, by toasting and grinding whole spices. I don't really keep spice mixes I've made nor buy any. I do have some Old Bay seasoning which I bought because I read about it on this forum and was curious to try. I also do have some commercially made garam masala but also make my own.

Last edited:
We make our own mostly. We do have Old Bay and Craig uses Zatarain's when he does a boil, mainly because he's tried several recipes over the years and I have nixed them for being either way, way too spicy or extremely mild or they've had something obnoxious to me like the one he found that had cloves and nutmeg in it to the point that's all I could taste.

We use Emeril's Creole seasoning, but it's from a recipe in 1 of his really old cookbooks before he started selling them commercially.

Otherwise, I do as Tasty does and find something that looks good on the internet.

I don´t buy any commercial spice "mixes" - Old Bay, Cajun Spice, BBQ Rub, Curry powder, etc. I´ve been working with herbs and spices for over 30 years, so if I need a specific blend, I make it myself. Several times I´ve had clients ask me to make "special" mixtures for them , which I have.
So tell me what you need and I´ll probably be able to find a formula in my archives!

Here's a recipe I use, got a lot of praise for it here:
Recipe - Everything but the bagel seasoning

I also make my own spice mixes for things like roast potatoes, but I usually include that in the entire recipe I wrote.

My standard roast potato mix:
2 tbsp smoked hot paprika
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp rosemary
1 tbsp thyme
1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp sea salt

Why not fresh garlic? Because it burns in the oven.. and the roasting of my potatoes takes 45 mins at high heat. I mix these spices with oil and coat the potatoes with it, creating an effective burn proof glaze.

I like to make my own. Store bought mixes tend to be heavily loaded with salt.

I either find recipe online for a particular blend, such as "jerk" blend. For BBQ rub, I often play scientist.

CD

Back
Top Bottom