Secret Supermarket Snacks

Local time
7:08 AM
Do you reward yourself for going to the supermarket? Do you buy a treat for everyone and a little extra something for yourself? Do you eat things in the car on the way home (or car park if on a mobike) that are only for you? Or perhaps you‘re a strict no eating in the car type?

Today I treated myself and the youngest to a secret snack consumed in the car park before leaving and wondered does everyone do this?

IMG_0742.jpeg

IMG_0744.jpeg

Excuse a little dust on the steering wheel, it hadn’t been driven for a very very long time 😬
Not a fan of mozzarella in general but cold buffalo bocconcini.. yes please!

Last edited:
I have a weakness for supermarket (especially M&S) ready-made chicken tikka so will quite often buy a pack of that and scoff it standing up in the kitchen before I’ve even put the rest of the shopping away.

No, not really, especially eating in the car, which is something I don’t like doing at all. It just isn’t comfortable, driving or sitting still.

If I do, it would be something more in the junk food category, like chocolate-covered raisins, or a snack cake, or some crisps/chips.

No, not really, especially eating in the car, which is something I don’t like doing at all. It just isn’t comfortable, driving or sitting still.

If I do, it would be something more in the junk food category, like chocolate-covered raisins, or a snack cake, or some crisps/chips.

I rarely grab food at the grocery store to eat in the car on the way home. But like you, if I do, it will likely be a candy bar or a bag of chips -- if I am really hungry, and don't want to wait to get home. It is not so much a treat, as it is to satisfy my hunger.

CD

As someone who appreciates fast food for what it is (there are a few of us on here :highfive: ), I’m more apt to treat myself by ducking into McD’s (which shares a parking lot/car park with my local Kroger) for a helping of French fries than to buy something like one of the snack-sized cheese-salami packets from the deli.

One of my sons eats in his car the other one doesn’t and won’t let other people either!
I don’t like other people (particularly my husband) eating in the car as some folk seem to struggle with getting all of the food in their mouth and watching a bit of food drop onto the seat, or worse down the side horrifies me 😆

I always have a little bit of picnicware in the boot though so I‘m happy I’m not doing anything to gross up my car.

I definitely prefer to have some nice buffalo boccocinco n good tomatoes or quails eggs n celery salt than McDs. Not that I’m anti fast food, it just wouldn’t beat that sort of snaffled treat.

One of my sons eats in his car the other one doesn’t and won’t let other people either!
I don’t like other people (particularly my husband) eating in the car as some folk seem to struggle with getting all of the food in their mouth and watching a bit of food drop onto the seat, or worse down the side horrifies me 😆

I always have a little bit of picnicware in the boot though so I‘m happy I’m not doing anything to gross up my car.

I definitely prefer to have some nice buffalo boccocinco n good tomatoes or quails eggs n celery salt than McDs. Not that I’m anti fast food, it just wouldn’t beat that sort of snaffled treat.

I often snack on Bocconcini and cherry tomatoes at home, with some fresh basil from my garden. Sometimes a little sprinkle of EVOO and cracked pepper on them. I skewer them on toothpicks.

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
I often snack on Bocconcini and cherry tomatoes at home, with some fresh basil from my garden. Sometimes a little sprinkle of EVOO and cracked pepper on them. I skewer them on toothpicks.

CD

It sounds lovely and the sort of thing I'd snack on if I did snack, that is.

I don't ever go to the supermarket so I'm trying to remember if I did have snacks when I did. Last time I went to a supermarket must be at least ten years ago (and that was a rare occurrence). I don't think I ever did eat anything in the car. Pre Covid, I did occasionally go to Aldi on foot, which is 5 minutes away at the end of my road. Again, I can't recall snacking.

I think the only thing I ever ate in my car was sweets (when driving).

It sounds lovely and the sort of thing I'd snack on if I did snack, that is.

P.S. Did you mean the text to be in italics?

I did something halfway through typing that turned the rest of the text to italics, and the way I would normally fix that didn't work, and I didn't want to make a career out of fixing it. It was either all italics, or half italics, so all italics seemed like a better choice. 🤷‍♂️

CD

I did something halfway through typing that turned the rest of the text to italics, and the way I would normally fix that didn't work, and I didn't want to make a career out of fixing it. It was either all italics, or half italics, so all italics seemed like a better choice. 🤷‍♂️

CD

I'll fix it...

Done.

I don't eat in my car. Ever - but occasionally, I'll buy something special in the supermarket, just for me, and just because it's there. Bocconcini are high on that list.
Now I mention that, you've jogged my memory of a bocconcini/grilled courgette/Parma ham salad (and I think the recipe is from the 1990s) which we haven't eaten for AGES, but which was absolutely glorious. I'll dig it out and post it.

I have no drivers license so this pleasure is out of my reach, however, I do a lot of our grocery shopping within walking distance. And when I go I always take a treat, which I usually share with my husband. However, I almost exclusively get ice cream alone. My husband isn't much of a fan and my stepson doesn't want to do anything that involves walking so usually when I go grocery shopping I get myself an ice cream.

Sometimes on days where my husband is gone for longer like when he sees his boy's board game group, I treat myself to something specifc for me. But that's because he's also going to have fun, and I think it's only fair that I get myself a treat on those days.

A few years ago, I was going Sunday mornings at 6AM for my weekend shopping. There’s was something about being in the grocery store that early, with very, very few other shoppers, that made it seem special, so I’d always get a big cup of tea to sip while casually going about the store.

I kind of miss that, actually.

A few years ago, I was going Sunday mornings at 6AM for my weekend shopping. There’s was something about being in the grocery store that early, with very, very few other shoppers, that made it seem special, so I’d always get a big cup of tea to sip while casually going about the store.

I kind of miss that, actually.

The Kroger store near me almost always has few shoppers now that HEB opened a few miles away. Another HEB opened right across the street from the Kroger Marketplace store in North Frisco. I need to go one day and see how bad of a hit that Kroger took.

CD

Back
Top Bottom