Recipe Sedani Bella Napoli.

Saranak

Local time
6:27 AM
Ciao everyone,
This is a total classic of Napoli, and as usual there are as many versions as there are cooks! This calls for Sedani Pasta, this is one of the very few pasta that I actually buy in as it is rather difficult to make successfully. Interestingly Sedani was actually called Zanne d'elefante but was renamed after the trade in Ivory was banned! This is another of my nonna's recipes, I remember huge plates of this sat in the middle of the dining table and there was very little left at the end of the meal. It is a quite old recipe and was usually served during holidays. My family always had this at Easter. This will quite easily feed 5 -6. It can be made with either Lamb or pork my husband and children prefer the Lamb. It is a very rich dish. To be an absolute success you need a really good thick tomato sauce.

You will need -
400 g Sedani.
300 g Lean Lamb or Pork.
180 g Pancetta.
120 g Peperoni.
200 g Ricotta.
1 Carrot.
1 Celery.
1 Onion.
2 Cloves Garlic.
Sprigs of Rosemary.
Very hot pepper.
Dry white wine
Vegetable broth.
Olive oil.
Red wine.
Water.

Method -
Tomato sauce - Salsa Di Concentrato.

1. Heat the olive oil and add the puree and stir. Add the wine to keep the sauce from sticking.
  2. Simmer for 3 - 4 minutes add salt to taste then dilute a little hot water.
  3. Cover the pan and simmer for around 2 hours. This sauce does tend to burn so add hot water if you need but not so much that the sauce gets thin.
  4. The sauce will be ready when the olive oil floats and the sauce has a creamy look.
The rest.
  1. Peel the sausages and trim the Lamb of excess fat, put the meats into a blender and chop finely.
  2. Clean the carrot and celery and peel the onion.
  3. Chop the vegetables finely along with the garlic and rosemary.
  4. Sauté the vegetables with 4 - 5 tablespoons of olive oil.
  5. Add the meats and gently brown.
  6. Put in 1/2 a glass of the wine and allow to evaporate.
  7. Add a full wine glass of the tomato sauce a little salt and 1 - 2 chopped peppers.
  8. Simmer for 1 hour, add broth as you need.
  9. Cook the Sedani.
  10. Put the Sedani back in the pan and pour the hot sauce over and add the Ricotta.
  11. Mix well and garnish with the rosemary

Hope that you enjoy.

Sarana x

For info here is a photo of Sedani pasta (and I learned that Sedani is the plural of celery).

Sedani rigati – The Pasta Project

Ciao everyone,
This is a total classic of Napoli, and as usual there are as many versions as there are cooks! This calls for Sedani Pasta, this is one of the very few pasta that I actually buy in as it is rather difficult to make successfully. Interestingly Sedani was actually called Zanne d'elefante but was renamed after the trade in Ivory was banned! This is another of my nonna's recipes, I remember huge plates of this sat in the middle of the dining table and there was very little left at the end of the meal. It is a quite old recipe and was usually served during holidays. My family always had this at Easter. This will quite easily feed 5 -6. It can be made with either Lamb or pork my husband and children prefer the Lamb. It is a very rich dish. To be an absolute success you need a really good thick tomato sauce.

You will need -
400 g Sedani.
300 g Lean Lamb or Pork.
180 g Pancetta.
120 g Peperoni.
200 g Ricotta.
1 Carrot.
1 Celery.
1 Onion.
2 Cloves Garlic.
Sprigs of Rosemary.
Very hot pepper.
Dry white wine
Vegetable broth.
Olive oil.
Red wine.
Water.

Method -
Tomato sauce - Salsa Di Concentrato.

1. Heat the olive oil and add the puree and stir. Add the wine to keep the sauce from sticking.
  2. Simmer for 3 - 4 minutes add salt to taste then dilute a little hot water.
  3. Cover the pan and simmer for around 2 hours. This sauce does tend to burn so add hot water if you need but not so much that the sauce gets thin.
  4. The sauce will be ready when the olive oil floats and the sauce has a creamy look.
The rest.
  1. Peel the sausages and trim the Lamb of excess fat, put the meats into a blender and chop finely.
  2. Clean the carrot and celery and peel the onion.
  3. Chop the vegetables finely along with the garlic and rosemary.
  4. Sauté the vegetables with 4 - 5 tablespoons of olive oil.
  5. Add the meats and gently brown.
  6. Put in 1/2 a glass of the wine and allow to evaporate.
  7. Add a full wine glass of the tomato sauce a little salt and 1 - 2 chopped peppers.
  8. Simmer for 1 hour, add broth as you need.
  9. Cook the Sedani.
  10. Put the Sedani back in the pan and pour the hot sauce over and add the Ricotta.
  11. Mix well and garnish with the rosemary

Hope that you enjoy.

Sarana x

That’s a lovely dish, indeed
And a good scarpetta in the sauce at the end to clean the plate 😋

Back
Top Bottom