Seeds for sprouting

zuludog

Veteran
Local time
5:59 AM
I would like to start doing sprouted seeds and would preferably like to start with a mixed or sample pack, though this is not essential, I could just order several individual packs
Can anyone recommend a supplier in the UK or is it just a question of Searching t'Net?

I used to sprout my own stuff both here and back in the UK, but I wouldn't pay the exceptionally high price for dedicated sprouting seeds.

You'll need to either get dedicated seeds for sprouting which are very expensive or ensure you initially buy very small quantities of lentils, chickpeas, beans, peas that are organic. Only buy a small quantity initially because most pulses are irradiated to prevent germination. Organic varieties are less likely to be irradiated in my experience, but you need to experiment and find a supplier that sells non-irradiated pulses and typically the only way to establish this is by trial and error. Mung beans are a good one to start with and one I've had the most success with.

Irradiated pulses will still start to germinate though, it's just they will rot more than germinate and far fewer will actually germinate. So if they have started to germinate but it smells bad, likely as not that batch is irradiated (it helps the store longer). So if that batch doesn't germinate, you'll need to find another source of the same thing and try again. Hence only buying a very small quantity initially. I had very little success with pre-packaged beans/peas/lentils and much more success from bulk purchase places where you take your own bags or jars to fill.

I would like to start doing sprouted seeds and would preferably like to start with a mixed or sample pack, though this is not essential, I could just order several individual packs

I've had great success with dried peas and other pulses. See here: Window sill sprout-along
mung beans and matki (found in Asian shops) are also good and very fast sprouting.

Otherwise I'd simply buy small seed packs of radish seeds, kale seeds, cabbage seeds (for example). They are not expensive and a pack of seeds will go a long way.

My wife came back from a cousin´s house in Switzerland and immediately began sprouting green and brown lentils. Soak them in water for a day or two, drain the water, leave them in a warm placeand they sprout.
I´ve also done the same with (Indian) mung beans - small green beans which sprout within a day or two. You could undoubtedly do the same with yellow gram or black gram beans.

I ordered some organic mung beans to sprout because the ones at the grocery are expensive and are usually getting a bit grody (the primary reason). I could go to the Asian market not too far away, but I dont want to go there for just bean sprouts and they only sell them in huge bags so I always end up throwing some away.

Got them started a few minutes ago by washing and then putting in a mason jar to soak. I watched video so will continue with rest of process tomorrow a.m.

Have a question though. Considering it's hot here already and should be spring time but we are hitting or coming close to record highs and kitchen is generally 77 F, 25 C, or hotter depending on whether the oven is on, should I store the rest of the dried beans in the refrigerator since I want to use at least some of them to grow more bean sprouts or store in the pantry as I do other dried beans? The best by date on the bag is 9/2024.

Have a question though. Considering it's hot here already and should be spring time but we are hitting or coming close to record highs and kitchen is generally 77 F, 25 C, or hotter depending on whether the oven is on, should I store the rest of the dried beans in the refrigerator since I want to use at least some of them to grow more bean sprouts or store in the pantry as I do other dried beans? The best by date on the bag is 9/2024.
Well, I'm no expert here but I've sprouted mung beans kept in the cupboard through hot summers with no problem. I think once they are dried then the heat won't affect them. However, you have humid heat in Florida which might make a difference.

SatNavSaysStraightOn might know more about this.

Well, I'm no expert here but I've sprouted mung beans kept in the cupboard through hot summers with no problem. I think once they are dried then the heat won't affect them. However, you have humid heat in Florida which might make a difference.

SatNavSaysStraightOn might know more about this.

I ordered some organic mung beans to sprout because the ones at the grocery are expensive and are usually getting a bit grody (the primary reason). I could go to the Asian market not too far away, but I dont want to go there for just bean sprouts and they only sell them in huge bags so I always end up throwing some away.

Got them started a few minutes ago by washing and then putting in a mason jar to soak. I watched video so will continue with rest of process tomorrow a.m.

As MG says, it's humidity that's the issue and some seeds actually need cold in order to germinate. I've got some in the fridge right now that require 3 weeks at or around 0-5°C in order to germinate, it's called cold scarification (iirc).

With my mung beans for germination, I keep them out in the mud room in a non-airtight mesh bag. That room gets very hot in the summer because it faces north (southern hemisphere). They are fine and germinate easily and readily. To be honest, I'd be concerned about the humidity in a fridge that it could easily cause the dried beans to no longer been dried and they'd start to rot.
I think you'll need to decide which is less humid. Your hot room or your fridge (which will be close to 100% humidity simply because of the cold. 25°C won't be an issue though unless the room has 90-100% humidity. We've been hitting 30-35°C since the start of the year and that particular room gets very hot, hotter than outside. It was designed to get warm in winter to dry things off. In summer it is unbearable.

The kitchen is under A/C so it's less humid than the refrigerator. I'll leave them in their resealable bag plus put them in an air tight container.

Thanks ladies.

We keep all our mung beans, lentils, peas and beans in the fridge - otherwise they get attacked b weevils.
When my wife want to sprout them for salads, she takes them out, soaks them for maybe 2 days (outside, covered) and they usually sprout after that.

Back
Top Bottom