Self-catering holiday supplies

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:50 PM
You are going away for a week on a self-catering holiday for a week (I am about to go to France to do just that). What foodstuffs do you take with you? Salt and pepper are provided but no spices. There will be plenty of food shops and markets so you don't need to take fresh food (although I'm taking some chilli as its not something the French like). My list is getting longer and longer! Soon I won't have room for anything else in the car!

We are on holiday at the moment.

What we took

Tumeric, cumin, coriander, garam masala, chillies, curry leaves, tamarind, paprika, asafoetida, salt, pepper and probably one out two others I have forgotten.. Olive oil, I should have remembered balsamic vinegar, rye flour, self raising flour, wholemeal flour, baking powder, garlic, ginger, various cycling snacks (not gels), almond milk for a few days, homemade bread for a few days, dairy free marg, plus any perishables in the fridge or fruit bowl, breakfast cereal.

Honey, sunflower seeds, tinned chickpeas, tomatoes, kidney beans, butter beans, and a few others were purchased here along with potatoes, onions, fresh veg, pasta, rice, popcorn, beer, etc.

We are on holiday at the moment.

What we took

Tumeric, cumin, coriander, garam masala, chillies, curry leaves, tamarind, paprika, asafoetida, salt, pepper and probably one out two others I have forgotten.. Olive oil, I should have remembered balsamic vinegar, rye flour, self raising flour, wholemeal flour, baking powder, garlic, ginger, various cycling snacks (not gels), almond milk for a few days, homemade bread for a few days, dairy free marg, plus any perishables in the fridge or fruit bowl, breakfast cereal.

Honey, sunflower seeds, tinned chickpeas, tomatoes, kidney beans, butter beans, and a few others were purchased here along with potatoes, onions, fresh veg, pasta, rice, popcorn, beer, etc.

I feel better about my list now!!!

And then there's the utensils. I don't trust self-catering accommodation to have a good sharp knife or a good non stick pan. Also, microplane, mandoline, julienne cutter. And then there's baking paper and foil.

Next week my husband and I are going to Hongkong for a 4-day vacation. We would be staying in my nephew's condo. Since he is here in the Philippines, we would have the entire condo for ourselves. My nephew advises me to cook so we wouldn't be spending much for food. My husband plans to just eat out because the last time we cooked, we had a problem with the kitchen - the pressure cooker had a leak, we cannot find the chopping board, and other petty problems that you encounter in an alien kitchen. So the best option is to just eat out.

And then there's the utensils. I don't trust self-catering accommodation to have a good sharp knife or a good non stick pan. Also, microplane, mandoline, julienne cutter. And then there's baking paper and foil.
I didn't include my knives or tea towels in the list. Clingfilm is always needed. But I should point out that I am in the remote part of the Highlands of Scotland and not France and I know what is in the holiday home I came to because I have been coming here for years and years (well, over a decade anyhow) and know what is needed and the fact that the nearest supermarket is over 25 miles away and the closest shop 6 miles away being a local Spar with little I can actually eat...

Oh dear MG, one does wonder where you are going, for how long and is any mere car going to be big enough for all your STUFF!!

good non stick pan
Unnecessary for just one week. Use any of various oils or butter, if required, depending on what you're cooking.
microplane, mandoline, julienne cutter.
Totally and completely unnecessary. If you take one good sharp knife. (Or is this an infamous example of your 'humour'?!)
baking paper and foil.
Both will be there somewhere, along with clingfilm. And guess what, if not, there will be a shop not far away that sells that stuff. And you could bring it home, so not to waste money or you could leave it behind for the next person who needs it!

See last line in post #4!

I am in the remote part of the Highlands of Scotland and not France and I know what is in the holiday home I came to because I have been coming here for years and years (well, over a decade anyhow) and know what is needed and the fact that the nearest supermarket is over 25 miles away and the closest shop 6 miles away being a local Spar with little I can actually eat...
Quite.

Be careful of taking anything in powder form across international borders. Especially with cling film.

Back
Top Bottom