Selling your Baked Goods or Dishes

DIna00

Veteran
Local time
3:28 AM
Have you ever tried to sell your baked goods or savory dishes? How did you do it? Who did you sell it to?

I have thought about doing this on a small scale, just for fun with my kids, to show them a little entrepreneurial spirit. But I have also been interested in it for myself, when I hear some people have been selling their baked goods, I always wonder how and where.

Do you know anyone who does this?

In the UK it is a minefield of regulation and restriction that has recently stopped my brother in law from setting up his own enterprise selling his RAW food goods. He was going to open a café, but that has fallen through as well. too many regulations and the likes getting in the way.

Sadly I suspect you will find the USA the same.

As above - it only takes one person to have a minor tummy problem that they can blame on you [your fault or not] and you will be facing a mountain of damages/compensation claims. I'm afraid suing for compensation has become a career choice for many people now.

It is always a concern that some one get ill from something you cooked and want to sue you. I take food to church for our buffet often muffins that have peanuts in them and must state that it is cooked with peanut oil of have peanuts in them because we have people that can not eat peanuts in the church. I also have a business partner that has been making and selling cream cheese pies or years with no problems. But mostly to people he knows.

It's a tricky one...like SatNav says, there is so much red tape surroundng this type of business. You'd need to register as a business too, I imagine, and keep detailed records of the associated financial transactions. Then there's all the hygiene certification that food businessses are required to have.

There is, of course, the option of doing this privately but the main problem here is that someone could easily stick the knife in if they wanted and report you for running an unlicensed food operation.

Registering the buisness Is the first and easiest ,a food hygiene certificate then needs to be gained at ,at Least at intermediate level to understand the statutory side of the business,and risk assessments for manufacture of foods,a local authority will fail you in the uk for failure to keep records and completed risk assesment etc,it is a mine field at the beginning,kitchen lay out,hygiene ,

As the others have said in order to do this legally you need to set up a business, get all the certificates etc. So in other words, not worth it "just for fun." If it's a career option for you then of course, go ahead, but there is just too much hassle to do it as a hobby.

You could always offer to bake stuff for a friend's birthday party or something like that. I'm sure they would compensate you somehow.

I wonder what the regulations in the States are. I have to wonder if they are not so strict, as I have heard lots of stories of people selling their baked goods and later turning it into a business if they were successful. I've also seen little feel-good clips on tv, of young kids doing things like this too. But I'm sure they all sell things to people they know or who are sympathetic towards them.

Oh well, we are not great bakers anyways!

There is a mountain of food and health regulations here in the US too, and I would not want to deal with it all. You have to cook all of your food in an approved kitchen, whatever the definition of "kitchen" is to your business. There are health and food safety certificates and lots of inspections. It is too much of a hassle for many people. Then there are also the issues surrounding the customers, one bad dish and you could be in a world of hurt if your customer gets sick. I know a couple of people who have food carts and make a lot of money making things like hot dogs and street food, but again, there are a lot of regulations and it is risky.

Recently I started baking some bread from scratch and my son told me I should bake some to sell. At first I thought he was kidding but he's quite serious. I already have a clothing store so putting some in the store "quietly " won't be a problem yet it's not something I would do as it's not in my lease. I heard some of you speak of lots of regulations in your country. I am sure we have here as well but it doesn't stop people from selling what they want. It feels like everyday someone is starting to sell something from their home and in a ailing economy I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

If I felt I had to time and energy, I would think of a food outlet, but I am getting "too young" for that.:happy:

When I was not still married I used to bake pastries like brownies, chocolate and cheese cupcakes, macaroons, chocolate crinkles, tarts and even lasagna and baked macaroni. It was only a hobby until I didn't notice that I am receiving orders from those who had tasted my baking products. So I made a business out of it . It is very rewarding that I had made the right recipes for them and at the same time I made an extra income by selling these items. But when I got married I stop my business because I had no more time and I am taking care and cooks only just for my family.

Back
Top Bottom