Sending food to other countries

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:40 AM
[Mod.Edit: This post and a few others moved to start new topic.]

I regularly post to the states things and vice versa. My Indian spice is used quite a lot stateside. Lol.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
I regularly post to the states things and vice versa. My Indian spice is used quite a lot stateside. Lol.

Russ

I thought you couldn't post food things to he USA. Maybe I am wrong. What is your Indian spice? Is it a dry mix or a preserved bottled item?

I send sauces to states and also spice mixes. My Garam masala is mix is used a bit over there. It's a bit like yours but different as we all have different spices we use.

Russ

The wife said she can't send chillies to the states, don't know why. ??? I have never had a problem sending stuff. I label everything properly. I've sent jam and coulis as well.

Russ

The wife said she can't send chillies to the states, don't know why. ??? I have never had a problem sending stuff. I label everything properly. I've sent jam and coulis as well.

Russ

Maybe to do with it being fresh ingredients which could spread hidden bacteria etc.?

In Australia, the problem lies with being able to grow something from it. So a fully ground spice mix would be allowed (after it's been checked for drugs) but a whole spice mix, where you could say grow coriander or cumin from the whole seeds or chillies from their seeds, that would not be allowed. I've no idea about other countries though. I'm guessing NZ is the same about receiving. Sending out neither country seems worried about though.

For individuals, fresh meat, some cured meats (have to meet Food and Drug Administration standards), fresh fruits and veges are prohibited. They don't want viruses or bacteria or insects or fungus, etc. being imported. I'm sure it's the same for other countries.

It's funny though, yachts that travel world wide come in with things that an individual couldn't get through Customs. Not to mention big businesses.

There's a limit on how much cheese you can bring back, don't really know why though. We've ordered cheeses from France before, as well as bread. There used to be a limit on how much wine and liquor you could bring back as well.

You can also bring back as much oils and vinegar as you want.

One time when I came back from Italy, I had an apple in my bag the morning before I flew back as part of a snack that day. The little beagle in Customs alerted to my bag that had an apple in it almost 36 hours prior.

Last edited:
For individuals, fresh meat, some cured meats (have to meet Food and Drug Administration standards), fresh fruits and veges are prohibited. They don't want viruses or bacteria being imported. I'm sure it's the same for other countries.

It's funny though, yachts that travel world wide come in with things that an individual couldn't get through Customs. Not to mention big businesses.

There's a limit on how much cheese you can bring back, don't really know why though. We've ordered cheeses from France before, as well as bread.

One time when I came back from Italy, I had an apple in my bag the morning before I flew back as part of a snack that day. The little beagle in Customs alerted to my bag that had an apple in it almost 36 hours prior.

Big fines for bringing fruit into nz. Asians are always caught with fruit and veges. They fill out declarations saying no fruit. But when caught they plead dumb. Doesn't work here.

Russ

The Department of Agriculture has strict regulations about what can be brought into different states.
California is a tough one. I had a small landscaping company. My favorite wholesaler for specimen camellias, azalea and crape myrtles could not ship to California. He sold his plants to a nursery in Washington State. The plants were quarantined for 3 months then sold to nurseries in California.
@CraigC
There are probably similar restrictions on citrus imports in Florida.

Back
Top Bottom