Sharpening Knives

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
12:30 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I was wondering what people prefer to use to sharpen their kitchen knives?

I just use an oval whetstone about 20cm in length & about 5cm in width (depth probably no more than 1.5cm) - I guess because I only ever sharpen my outdoor knives with one, so have naturally used a whetstone, but I can remember from my parents' home an awful electronic knife sharpener that I was never convinced sharpened anything.

whetstone.jpg

I have never gotten on with the whetstone/ground diamonds on a stick option so have stayed away from those and find my current whetstone sharpens knives within 2 or 3 strokes on each side of the blade.

I can't handle the stick-shaped sharpeners, either. Isn't that for knives that are meant to have teeth, like a bread knife? Those don't get really dull so quickly, though. So, when it comes to a non-serrated edge, give me a nice flat whetstone, actually, and I make a move like I'm spreading butter on it, except angling it to ensure that the entire length of the knife gets gradually and evenly sharpened. I suspect that the whetstone can change shape, too, with repeated use, so I try not to sharpen like...how to describe it? Like I'm forcefully pushing an envelope, except that it's a blade.

If ever the serrated knives needed sharpening, I must admit that I wouldn't be entirely clear on how to keep the teeth.

Back
Top Bottom