Sharpening, Oil or Wet Stone for Kitchen Knives?

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
2:11 PM
Would you use a wet stone to sharpen your kitchen knives?

I have a nice wet stone that I used for my hunting and diving knives, but thus far, would not think of sharpening my kitchen knives with it.

Unfortunately, with my disabilities, I no longer go hunting or diving. But I do have some knives and the wet stone.

My Dad was a carpenter and I inherited his oil stones, as well as the other tools

One of my hobbies is knife making, and from that I've learned leatherwork, firstly to make the sheaths, but also a few other items like belts
I've tried wet stones Japanese water stones), but I don't like them, I prefer the oil stones; no particular reason, that's just me, they both do the same sort of job

I use the oil stones and a strop to sharpen my leatherworking knives, but for my kitchen knives I just use a steel
Most kitchen knives are OK when new; I would only use a stone if they needed shaping or honing the edge particularly well; most of the time I would use a steel

My Dad was a carpenter and I inherited his oil stones, as well as the other tools

One of my hobbies is knife making, and from that I've learned leatherwork, firstly to make the sheaths, but also a few other items like belts
I've tried wet stones Japanese water stones), but I don't like them, I prefer the oil stones; no particular reason, that's just me, they both do the same sort of job

I use the oil stones and a strop to sharpen my leatherworking knives, but for my kitchen knives I just use a steel
Most kitchen knives are OK when new; I would only use a stone if they needed shaping or honing the edge particularly well; most of the time I would use a steel

I have never seen a water wet stone. I refer to the oil stones as wet stones.

I just have a regular knife sharpener. It also sharpens screwdrivers & scissors as well.

Back
Top Bottom