Shepherds pie old fashioned

I've made other layered dishes like that, including one I dubbed "German Shepherd's Pie," with bratwurst and sauerkraut and potatoes, among other things. The name is a play on words, because of the German ingredients and because what people over there refer to as an Alsatian (dog), we call a German Shepherd. :)

Thanks for clearing that up. The thought of cooking a German Shepherd had me a bit queasy.

CD

Shepherd's pie is a very simple dish - its just minced lamb (or finely chopped leftover lamb from a cooked joint) in a gravy with mashed potato on top. Diced carrots are often added to the minced lamb. Pie is a rather confusing term for it as it contains no pastry.

The lamb and gravy is cooked first and allowed to cool. Then mashed potatoes are put on top and the whole thing baked in the oven. Here is a simple recipe: No-fuss shepherd's pie recipe - BBC Good Food

View attachment 56729

Without wishing to be too pedantic or purist, if you replace the potato with pastry or add too many other vegetables then it ceases to be a Shepherd's Pie.
Thanks!! That DOES look nice & simple!! I think I'll try that one next time!! :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom