Shopping locally

cefmac

Veteran
Local time
9:34 PM
I usually go to Lidl (I don't know if you have it in the US - it's a German supermarket chain which is amazingly cheap but really good quality!), simply because it saves me a lot of money - my weekly shop usually only comes to around £10 (about $15). However, where I live, there are a lot of small local, businesses like greengrocers and fishmongers. When I want fresh fruit or veg, or more unusual ingredients, I go there. I like to know that I'm helping local trade. I have one favourite shop in particular, which is an independent greengrocer and Mediterranean supermarket just around the corner from where I live. It can be expensive for some things, but for fruit, veg, herbs and baking ingredients, it's very reasonable. The staff are also really friendly and they offer a student discount.

Where do you go to buy your ingredients/groceries?

I am a Safeway girl. There are two of them in my city. One is big and the other is small. In general, I get most of my foods from them. As far as seasonings and other sundries, I go to the Dollar Tree and Walgreens since they offer the cheapest prices.

Sainsburys for our weekly shop as we do not have any 'local' shops. We do have a farmers market every month selling local produce so we like to stock up, we know where the meat comes from and the veg is still dirty so was still in the ground just a short time before. Thankfully a lot of the farmers are getting savvy to what shoppers want so sell good quality straight to rather than being paid a pittance by supermarkets who then sell on for a huge profit.

When you say shopping locally it automatically makes me think of our many farmers markets in my area. Fresh produce grown locally for sale on corners and in our downtown area. Its a great way to eat healthy and usually cheaper than buying at the grocery store! But for groceries im an Acme girl all the way!! I love their spacious isles and unusually friends employees always willing to help- even when you don't ask :)

I prefer shopping closer to home only for the convenience factor and at that point cost is not much of a clincher. However, when we go for the monthly purchase usually it is a local mall (similar to wal-mart) where we get all the essential stuff and lesser than reasonable prices.

While I like to support smaller local stores I have to admit that I do most of my shopping at the supermarket. It's just so much easier when everything is in the same place.

Back
Top Bottom