Short on resources but still there on taste

Nikkishea21

Local time
1:31 AM
There are times when I set out to prepare a meal and in the middle of it I realize that one or two of the key ingredients are missing, what do I do? I press on just the same and improvise where i can as best as possible. If you are someone who knows about combinations resulting from mixing and matching spices and tastes then things usually ends up well.

There are times when I set out to prepare a meal and in the middle of it I realize that one or two of the key ingredients are missing, what do I do? I press on just the same and improvise where i can as best as possible. If you are someone who knows about combinations resulting from mixing and matching spices and tastes then things usually ends up well.

You are so right Nikki. I think the best cooks are those who can improvise. I know well how to mix and match when in the kitchen. I must confess I don't want to be without some of my basics; onions and garlic to mention a few. However as you suggested, we press on with the alteration and if we are any good we come through with flying colors.

I think the ability to improvize is a great skill to have when cooking. We can't always have the exact ingredients ready. If you are used to using spices and herbs in your cooking, then you will have a good idea of what can be used as a replacement.

I often leave out an ingredient out and replace it with a different one. That usually applies to vegetables and fruits, but it can even apply the type of meat or fish used in a recipe.

I improvise when I can, and it happens a lot because, truthfully, I am horrible at grocery shopping! There have been times, though, were I just could not improvise so I had to run out to the store or send my husband out for me. Fortunately, we are within walking distance to the closest grocery store so it never takes long. It's just frustrating when I am set on making a recipe and I have to run out and get a forgotten ingredient!

Back
Top Bottom